Reaper vs. Audition

ModernIconoclast

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2009
Hey guys, I've been using Adobe Audition for a while and I've gotten pretty good with it. I've noticed a lot of you here on the forums recommend and use Reaper. How does it compare to Audition (besides being cheaper)? I don't mind learning to use a new DAW, just looking to hear the advantages/disadvantages of the two.

I used to use Audition... Now I use Reaper. I made the switch a few years ago, so Audition may be better now, but when I switched, Reaper was LIGHT YEARS ahead of Audition... and Reaper has advanced a lot in this time, too.

i loved and still love audio audition 2 & 3 but since i made the switch to mac im sticking with logic. only thing i didnt like about audition was it seemed to have quite a heavy impact on my cpu when processing audio

I've been using Audition 1 and 2 at my radio station mostly for voice tracking and for some minor productions. I don't know how much of a step forward Audition 3 is, but 1 and 2 would never be my weapon of choice for some more serious production work. It's okay for voice tracking and little editing, but for heavy tracking, editing and mixing, I'd choose something else. We have a PT rig in the house for these tasks and it's soooo much easier to work with that.

i don't know much about audition, but i use reaper alongside protools, and being proficient in both now, protools' elastic audio is literally the ONLY feature preventing me from being full-time reaper. As it is now, i'm tracking/editing in protools then bouncing/moving the mixes over to Reaper to mix. it seems to be alot more stable. in windows, atleast.

elastic audio aside, reaper is EXTREMELY powerful with editing, and becoming more-so all the time. you can even sortof "fake" elastic audio in reaper, but it requires making splits. a "warp marker" oriented time edit feature in reaper, i believe, is currently in development. and if that drops and works well, then...well, that'd be huge.