Reaper - Why NOT?

Regardless of its functionality or lackthereof, I can't take it seriously. It's like a fucking toy in my mind, to be honest. I have no clue why, but it just does not register in my brain as a reputable or viable DAW.

Just as long as you recognize you've given absolutely zero factual or empirical evidence to support this stance :loco:

To sentinel72, I honestly don't really care that much, but correct me if I'm wrong, a summary of the original post could be "why shouldn't I get Reaper", and the answers to that I'd say could easily be found in these threads (from searching as I described above):

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/537354-reaper-vs-pt-le.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/530266-big-ass-reaper-workflow-question.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/500286-reaper-vs-pro-tools.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/475754-sell-me-reaper.html

In other words, your question does seem rather general and basic about Reaper, so I don't necessarily think it required a new thread about it

Marcus has kindly found some threads for Detective Sandy Vagina.

I don't want to sift through hundreds of posts praising Reaper looking for the ones that talk about why it didnt work for somebody

Stop being a little girl and read them - it says in the FAQ on the front page to use the search feature rather than being a little princess and stamping around in order to get your answers.

But then on the other hand, our drummer uses reaper and loves it, and whenever he used Cubase here he is always saying "This is so much easier in Reaper" So as they say different strokes for different folks.

I'm kinda the same in that we use Cubase 5 at the studio but I use Reaper at home. Once you get used to editing in Reaper there are many things that I prefer over Cubase. But having said that, the new VariAudio functions in Cubase are just fucking awesome. You can tune & time correct a vocal track right in the wave editor, probably the best thing they added to v5.

I think comments along the lines of "Reaper is inferior because they don't simply duplicate the main features found in other DAW's" are pointless and a little puerile. The developers obviously have their own vision for it, and don't want to simply copy features for the sake of copying.

I created a thread about Reaper a few days here because I was planning on migrating from Nuendo to Reaper. I have been testing Reaper for the past 3 days and I know that maybe it´s too soon to say that, but I´m totally convinced that Reaper is a better DAW than Nuendo on almost every aspect, at least for my needs.
ps: I´ve been using Cubase/Nuendo for the past 7 years.

Currently if I have to write something in MIDI I do it all in reaper. It´s much better, faster, easy than cubase/nuendo. There are some things in midi that could be annoying but I love the midi editor in reaper. Then I export the tracks and I mix in cubase, not because reaper sucks or something else but I am used to mix in cubase. But I already mix little things in reaper and I dont have nothing to complain about. But usually I dont do a lot of editing.

I'm kinda the same in that we use Cubase 5 at the studio but I use Reaper at home. Once you get used to editing in Reaper there are many things that I prefer over Cubase. But having said that, the new VariAudio functions in Cubase are just fucking awesome. You can tune & time correct a vocal track right in the wave editor, probably the best thing they added to v5.

I think comments along the lines of "Reaper is inferior because they don't simply duplicate the main features found in other DAW's" are pointless and a little puerile. The developers obviously have their own vision for it, and don't want to simply copy features for the sake of copying.

Is Cubase 5 much better? I liked the fact you could tune vocals alright, but did you notice a big difference from previous versions?

I just didnt like the layout....I never even tested its editing capabilities.

Oh...and btw, I checked this forum almost every day for over a year before asked a question. Its rare to post something that hasn't been touched on. I also understand what its like to sift through 50 pages of topics to find something. It sucks! But I inevitably find something esle in those 50 pages of topics that is helpful (maybe thats just my ADD lol).

Just as long as you recognize you've given absolutely zero factual or empirical evidence to support this stance :loco:

Yeah, I dunno what it is, but I can't take it seriously. I've used it a bit, for file transfer reasons, and just never liked how it was laid out or anything. The menus were ridiculously convoluted and the layout looked kind of Adobe Audition-ish.

Not to mention scrolling initiates a zoom function? What the fuck???

yeah i hated that at first BUT. what is awesome is that you can use the arrows to change speed of the scrub if you are zoomed in close it goes sloooow if you are zoomed far away it goes fast great for talking on the phone and getting back to the area the guitarist needs to retrack. i found that out today. reaper is almost essientaly a 100% keyboard daw

Yeah, I dunno what it is, but I can't take it seriously. I've used it a bit, for file transfer reasons, and just never liked how it was laid out or anything. The menus were ridiculously convoluted and the layout looked kind of Adobe Audition-ish.

Not to mention scrolling initiates a zoom function? What the fuck???

The scroll zooming was actually one of the first things I fell in love with in Reaper! And the layout can be customized however you want, as all the windows can be resized and rearranged, and the first thing I did was undock and maximize the mixer and routing matrix windows, so now I just toggle to them via keyboard shortcuts, and the entire main window is devoted to the edit window, so it's really like any other DAW!

As for the menus/options, yeah, they suck, but at least you only need to figure out where the options you need are (and what they're called) once ;) (a small price to pay for, well, a small price to pay for the program!)

any way to disable the using scroll = zoom function? I want to use the scroll to scroll :)

I'm pretty sure you can change ANYTHING shortcut-wise (I think scroll is a shortcut). I really like it, and If I wanna scroll, I just point the mouse to the scroll bar. I think you can use some key to do that too (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT)

edit: btw, what's the problem with Reaper's drum editor?

The scroll zooming was actually one of the first things I fell in love with in Reaper! And the layout can be customized however you want, as all the windows can be resized and rearranged, and the first thing I did was undock and maximize the mixer and routing matrix windows, so now I just toggle to them via keyboard shortcuts, and the entire main window is devoted to the edit window, so it's really like any other DAW!

As for the menus/options, yeah, they suck, but at least you only need to figure out where the options you need are (and what they're called) once ;) (a small price to pay for, well, a small price to pay for the program!)

Yeah, so you can customize the shit out of it, that's great... but it brings up the same issue I have with Linux:

Move away from your setup and you're FUCKED. What happens when you go to another dudes place to track or collaborate and suddenly none of your trusted stuff is there? There's no standard to it at all, and it isn't conducive to a smooth workflow when working with other people, as Ryan and I can attest to.

yeah i hated that at first BUT. what is awesome is that you can use the arrows to change speed of the scrub if you are zoomed in close it goes sloooow if you are zoomed far away it goes fast great for talking on the phone and getting back to the area the guitarist needs to retrack. i found that out today. reaper is almost essientaly a 100% keyboard daw

Yes... Exactly why I love it! I hate using the mouse for things.