Reaper - Why NOT?

Hmm I don't see the need for any destructive editing in Reaper, I can do all my editing in the arrange window just like I do in Pro Tools. That was actually one thing that drove me insane about Logic. What do you need a destructive editing window for that you can't do in the regular arrange window to your regions?
I do it that way too, but some times I do need to zoom up, and I have to make it using Reaper's weird zooming system

Hmm I don't see the need for any destructive editing in Reaper, I can do all my editing in the arrange window just like I do in Pro Tools. That was actually one thing that drove me insane about Logic. What do you need a destructive editing window for that you can't do in the regular arrange window to your regions?

This I've always wondered, and I have no problems with Reaper's "weird vertical zooming system", just hold Ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel ;)

I use reaper and am getting a pro tools capable rig in the next month. I will still use reaper to track drums and export the tracks into PT. Reaper just seems way more efficient and also beat detective is great.

From what I gather from people using Reaper and PT - PT has waaaaaaaay better workflor. I'm a PT man and its a breeze - massively user intuitive.

EDIT: as if we need another PT vs. every other DAW thread by the way. There's soooooo many!

EDIT: as if we need another PT vs. every other DAW thread by the way. There's soooooo many!

Dude, this isnt a PT vs anything thread.

Pay attention. Its a "why did you leave Reaper and go elsewhere" thread.

From the original post:

If you have actually used Reaper, and then decided to go to something else, what was it about Reaper that led you elsewhere?

(so, what I'm looking for here are reasons NOT to use Reaper but instead use ____ and here is why I think that _____ )

Some of you really enjoy discouraging people from posting. How long has this board been here? How many threads are there? You're right, we should all just log out and stop helping each other. Since obviously anything that anyone could ask about has surely been covered somewhere in here.

I personally find it annoying that this board gets flooded with stuff that can be searched for on google. On top of that - there have already been threads covering this EXACT topic - people going from Reaper to Pro Tools. I never used to care but there's so many of the same threads around.

"You're right, we should all just log out and stop helping each other. Since obviously anything that anyone could ask about has surely been covered somewhere in here." - Stop being such a fucking cynic mate, this forum rules and I post loads of stuff I'm sure people find helpful - just as there's a load of stuff that's helped me. Its just annoying when someone starts threads like "what mic can be used on a snare and guitar cab?", "Mac or PC?" or "Reaper - why not?"

there have already been threads covering this EXACT topic - people going from Reaper to Pro Tools.

Thats not the topic. Much less the EXACT topic.

Stop being such a fucking cynic mate

Huh? Feel free to ignore my posts. Please.

Its just annoying when someone starts threads like... "Reaper - why not?"

Then ignore it. Its not doing any good to bitch about people starting another Reaper vs Pro Tools thread. Not here anyway. This isn't a Reaper vs Pro Tools thread. I'll cut and past from the original post one more time for ya:

If you have actually used Reaper, and then decided to go to something else, what was it about Reaper that led you elsewhere?

(so, what I'm looking for here are reasons NOT to use Reaper but instead use ____ and here is why I think that _____ )

So, you show me where people have specifically asked Ex-Reaper users who changed DAWs what it was that caused them to switch and then what I should have searched for to find that and then maybe you'll be helping.

Reaper's editing is absolutely useless. Even like copy and paste won't work properly. If you have two regions near each other and you drag one so it overlaps the other one, it'll either autocrossfade them or play both simultaneously depending on your preferences. You have to manually trim the overlapped item underneath so that it doesn't start until the other one finishes. So twice as many steps any time two regions touch each other compared to Pro Tools or any other DAW. Look for the feature request about "Tape-style Editing" on the Reaper forum for more information on what I'm talking about it if this is unclear.

Track based edit groups are not available in Reaper. You have to group items. So if you want to edit all your drums at once (which you always will), you have to manually group all the recorded media items after every take. Huge pain in the ass.

Those are the two things that eventually drove me away from Reaper. There are tons of awesome features, but the fact that it lacks even the most rudimentary editing functionality kills any hope for an efficient workflow when tracking/editing. It's still my DAW of choice for mixing.

but you damn well know you miss the fucking epic routing and mixing. :p

Thats not the topic. Much less the EXACT topic.

Search it and you'll find what you're looking for.

Huh? Feel free to ignore my posts. Please.

You chat some illogical bull my friend - its mildly entertaining so I'll stick around for a bit if that's cool? THATS IF WE DON'T ALL LOG OFF AND CRY :cry:

Then ignore it. Its not doing any good to bitch about people starting another Reaper vs Pro Tools thread. Not here anyway. This isn't a Reaper vs Pro Tools thread. I'll cut and past from the original post one more time for ya:

Search - I've seen loads of similar threads - most of which will go into detail about more specific points such as editing and work flow and why PT is deemed better for it.

So, you show me where people have specifically asked Ex-Reaper users who changed DAWs what it was that caused them to switch and then what I should have searched for to find that and then maybe you'll be helping.

Doesn't apply - are you not a Sonar user anyway? If so, what the hell? Why do care what Reaper users have to say? You need to have at least a similar knowledge of that DAW to understand their points as most of them are talking from practical experience.

Just search mate. So simple. Honestly not trying to be annoying - if you search on here, you'll find loads of threads on these questions you're asking...

Admittedly, Reaper has been covered quite a bit, and it's not like it's too short to enter into the search field (and select "search thread titles only")

and search for what?

Try the following:

"leaving reaper"
"moving away from reaper"

What do you get?

The first thread listed is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Kudos to that guy. I see nothing else even remotely close.

Some Children of Bodom stuff... Reasons why Logic is gay... Very relevant.

You know why I think that is? Because I am specifically looking for reasons people left Reaper to go to another DAW. And that is a very specific thing.

Christ you guys, if somebody asked how well a Neumann KM185 would do for micing up a Martin D12 in a very large room with wooden floors what would you say?

"Dude, there are tons of threads on how to mic acoustic guitars here. USE THE SEARCH!"

Yeah, "How do I mic a drumset?" "How do I mic a cab?" "Is Reaper any good?" "What tube amps are good?" "What guitars are the most brootal?" I get it... But sometimes you are looking for specific stuff. And sifting through YEARS of random posts hoping to find one guy who asked the same specific question that I have isn't even close to a practical way to find an answer.

Like I said, if you answered the same question before and don't want to again I totally understand. Dont even bother to look at the thread. I titled it in a way that very clearly explains what I'm looking for. And in my first post I am even more clear on what I am looking for. And why.

Dont go reading threads that you can obviously tell you have nothing to add and then bitch to the people that wrote them about how repetative you think they are being.

AEL89 is still asking questions like "Why do care what Reaper users have to say?" when I very clearly stated just that.

So far 90% of my experience is with Sonar.

I'm tired of the costly upgrades and honestly performance hasn't been as good as I had hoped.

So I'm considering moving to something else.

I picked up a Mbox2 with Pro Tools 7.? used for like $250 or so... I needed an interface anyway so I figured that was a decent deal.

(come to find out the mic pres in that are awefully high impedance and may not be worth using with a pair of SM57s for guitar tracking so that may be money wasted. )

Pro Tools, from what I have read is ideal for people moving from the traditional hardware workflow to software. And you know what? Thats backwards for me. I never worked with this stuff a la hardware. So right of fthe bat ProTools "feels" shitty. But I haven't given it time. I imagine anything will feel awkward after using Sonar for years....

I sense an expensive upgrade path with Pro Tools also.... And I'm having second thoughts about the Mbox2 so I'm considering Reaper.

The purpose of this thread is to find out why people ditch Reaper and go elsewhere.

To prevent a possible problem down the road.

That isnt clear enough? Or could it be that you have some other motivation to bust my balls?

Again, to those that have helped, And there have been MANY, I thank you.

This has even spawned another few convos that are related. So I'm not the only one getting some good info here.

To those that saw the "Reaper - Why Not?" title and thought, oh no... not again! Next time, just keep on browsing. You neednt read and comment on EVERY THREAD THAT EXISTS. Or if its been covered adequately before, go ahead and do that search that you are so sure will turn up the relevant answers.

THEN come bust my balls.

Some day in the future reaper is probably going to add all the editing features everyone's been wanting and then there's going to be nothing left to complain about. haha.

To sentinel72, I honestly don't really care that much, but correct me if I'm wrong, a summary of the original post could be "why shouldn't I get Reaper", and the answers to that I'd say could easily be found in these threads (from searching as I described above):

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/537354-reaper-vs-pt-le.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/530266-big-ass-reaper-workflow-question.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/500286-reaper-vs-pro-tools.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/475754-sell-me-reaper.html

In other words, your question does seem rather general and basic about Reaper, so I don't necessarily think it required a new thread about it

Well I disagree.

I don't want to sift through hundreds of posts praising Reaper looking for the ones that talk about why it didnt work for somebody.

Reaper is very largely praised. You dont see much to the contrary. Which is why I am considering it an option.

And its why I started this thread. To get the reasons it failed somebody.

And I've been getting some good responses. From people happy to help.

Thanks!

Well I disagree.

I don't want to sift through hundreds of posts praising Reaper looking for the ones that talk about why it didnt work for somebody.

Reaper is very largely praised. You dont see much to the contrary. Which is why I am considering it an option.

And its why I started this thread. To get the reasons it failed somebody.

And I've been getting some good responses. From people happy to help.

Thanks!

Reaper is awesome. Download it and try it out.

Most complaints about it now have to do with midi or editing. Some people prefer Cubase for midi because of its drum editor, and some people prefer ProTools for its editing, but the biggest reason guys go to ProTools is because it's the industry standard and what is expected to be used. I think most people could happily use Reaper without running into any problems, and it's still being updated and having features added regularly.

Personally I love Cubase. I had a version years ago, vst32 or something that I got on some recording course, but then got LE and upgraded to Cubase studio 4. I tried reaper and I didnt like it, but only because I was so used to Cubase. Same as when Microsoft made Office 07, took me ages to get used to that too. But then on the other hand, our drummer uses reaper and loves it, and whenever he used Cubase here he is always saying "This is so much easier in Reaper" So as they say different strokes for different folks. I am very interesed in getting Protools to try out so I would say just download Reaper and try that and protools and see which you prefer, You may find that there is one you prefer and then it makes sense to stick with that

Really, you won't experience most of Reaper's downfalls unless you track a shite band and have to edit the fuck outta their songs. Then you'd be wishing you had Pro-Tools!

Regardless of its functionality or lackthereof, I can't take it seriously. It's like a fucking toy in my mind, to be honest. I have no clue why, but it just does not register in my brain as a reputable or viable DAW.

Regardless of its functionality or lackthereof, I can't take it seriously. It's like a fucking toy in my mind, to be honest. I have no clue why, but it just does not register in my brain as a reputable or viable DAW.

Tons of people have said the same thing about Peavey amps, and look at the cult status of the 5150 now.

Instead of thinking in terms of what's fashionable, why not try actually using it and seeing what it's like for yourself?