Received my Celestion V-type (clipz)

To break in speaker cabs I run an ipod/phone into the fx return jack and play bass-heavy music (usually some kind of house or techno or something, you just want lots of movement) with the cabinet facing down at the ground to muffle it for 12-24 hours.

Ok, I think I will do that. I won't be able to do it once in a row though.

I heard some people place the speakers so they face each other to cancel the sound but the logic behind it seems fallacious in that it would probably limit the speakers movement as well.

I have an old unused (I hope so) bed with a thick mattress in the attic where my cabs are. That will probably do the trick.

When I was studying the professor was breaking in a speaker by playing a sine wave between 10 and 20 Hz for hours.

Might make sense for a tweeter, I don't think it will do much on big full range speaker that can't reproduce these frequencies very well.

You essentially want to get the paper used to moving back and forth so that it gets used to the motion - think of it like a money bill becoming softer over time. despite being crisp as fuck at first.

I get the reasoning behind it but I could swear my other cabinet haven't changed one bit in years since I got them (I got the Marshall BX and The Harley Benton new).
Same for my monitors...
We'll see...

I get the reasoning behind it but I could swear my other cabinet haven't changed one bit in years since I got them (I got the Marshall BX and The Harley Benton new).
Same for my monitors...
We'll see...

That's because the change is gradual and your ear was adjusting as much as the speaker was. If you took a brand new Marshall BX and put it side by side with yours you'd hear a distinct difference beyond the usual "every cab sounds unique" occurrence.

When i bought my 2x12 Harley benton ir ran sinewave @ 60 hz to break in, more than 24hours, at a sensible volume level.
Saw that somewhere on the net ...
To me, i feel that it did improve the sound of the speakers, and would do it again to a new set of speakers

Yes they are countless accounts about the benefits of break in all over the net and I have no reasons to dismiss them, even manufacturers seem to encourage this practice but there are few actual before/after clips.

The few I heard showed no audible difference or so little that it was moot to my ears but the placebo effect (sounds derogatory but it's not) seemed to do wonders to the happy owners ears.

That's why I want to test it by myself. I'm not trying to be a smartass.

First things first:

AWESOME CLIPS!

Love the blend of the vtype in the HB and the mesa.
the more aggressive vtype is pretty oldschool...could work nice for certain stuff.

About the break in:
I didn't do that when I got the mesa os new, but I noticed that after some reamping sessions and rehearsals it was a lot easier to get a not too harsh tone.
Of course it can also be that it just took me that long to get to know the cab well enough to know where to put the damn mic hehe

I wondered how the V-type sounded, cool to hear it with my DI's :)
(Thanks for linking my YT channel!)

Smooth tones you got there, I prefer the mesa clip, but maybe try the V-type speaker in your mesa cab?

That cat image is awesome!