Recommend guitar wanking stuff!

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
guys, I need some new music...preferably instrumental prog metal type stuff...

albums I like:

John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
Gordian Knot - both albums
Jason Becker - Perspectives, Perpetual Burn
Stride - Music Machine

Vai, Malmsteen and the whole Shrapnel stuff(other than Becker at least) doesn't do much for me unfortunately... what I'm looking for is a combination of technical skill, emotion and good songwriting. instrumental albums can be hard to listen to but I think the albums I mentioned are really enjoyable.

edit: I forgot Liquid Tension Experiment...like them a lot

thanks....

You might like Tony Mcalpine's stuff which I haven't really got into yet, but his album Violent Machine is pretty good. Actually I should check out the albums mentioned

also definitely check out Eric Johnson's albums. Mindblowingly virtuosic with great songwriting, and alot of his songs are instrumentals

Greg Howe is definitely worth checking out if you enjoy this stuff. His solo albums Parallax and Five are more jazz-fusiony than the more neo-classical later album Ascend (with Vitalij Kuprij on the keyboard). So choose your style here. All are great albums for the genres. He also has an album with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers called Extraction.

Vitalij Kuprij is a classically trained Ukranian pianist and keyboardist who as a child won nation-wide competitions. His neo-classical albums are much better than those of Malmsteen and co. His solo album (High Definition) with Greg Howe is probably his best. Extreme Measures and VK3 were also enjoyable. He also played in a band called Artension.

Definitely Tony MacAlpine. Edge of Insanity is great, its so 80s you can smell the hair spray, but his compositions are really nice.

Charlie Hunter is a jazz player, maybe not what you're looking for. But he has hall of fame chops, and at least his first two albums are full of great songs.

this guy is about as far away from wankery as could possiblly be.. unless you count that he's on Vai's Favored Nations label, but he has the best wrt tone and
and vibe in my books..Johnny A. is absolutely stellar in every regard guitarwise!!!

paco de lucia, the man in my sig, extremely technical flamenco guitarist (although not wanking at all)

check out 3 albums that feature paco de lucia, john mclaughlin, and al di meola (look it up on wikipedia)

Last edited by a moderator:
uh....how come nobody mentioned ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ?!!?
Holdsworth-Live.jpeg

cmon...this guy's not from Earth..

he's had an illustrious Solo career, along with playing on albums by Soft Machine, Gong, Bill Bruford, Tony Williams Lifetime, Jean-Luc Ponty, and he's also going to be on a few tracks of the new Planet X disc...

my highest recommendation, this guy is so badly underrated, and in my opinion one of the, if not THE most creative guitarist ever to live...

OHM - trippy jazz fusion band with ex-megadeth guitarist Chris Poland...

There's also Return to Metalopolis, a solo record by Chris Poland in similar vein. I personally cannot get into any of this stuff whatsoever (including that album), but if you're into that I suppose it might be worth checking out.

And why has no one mentioned Jeff Beck yet?