Recommend me a better Mic than SM58

Timmm3

New Metal Member
Apr 13, 2009
Hi

i am searching for a new dynamic mic up to 190 EURO.
It has to be good for screaming growling etc. and other voice stuff, too.
It has to be super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid.

And another important thing for me is, that it should sound good without any EQing.

At the moment i am thinking of:
Sennheiser e 945
Shure Beta 57 or 58
Audio Technica ATM610

please give me some opinions on these mics and please recommend other mics, too

Thank you very much

Timer

+1 on the SM7

I recently got the SM7 and its a clear standout from about the 8 other mics i've used/tried out over the 4 years. definitely worth the money!

hi

it´s me again ;)

I am interested in the heil pr-20

But when i order it to germany (do not know how yet, recommendations where to buy would be cool) it s uncool to send it back again.

So can someone please tell me, if the output of the PR-20 is louder/hotter than the sm58.

I have a preamp, that doesnt handle much gain very well but otherwise it is awesome and i dont want to change it.

In a direct shootout at a shop I found that the e835/845 were very much what I would expect from an SM58. The 900 series completely shits all over the SM58 for vocals. The sound is extremely clear. While there is a difference in the freq response, the main difference seemed to come from a greater transient response. It made vocals so much more understandable, even in a mix. My singers went with the e935 and we're tonns happy with it. I would by another without hesitation.

The PR20 should be comparable to the 58, from what just popped up on Google.

(Manufacturer spec sheets can be helpful.)

Jeff

how do you compare the estimated output level of mics at the same preamp gain?

Thanks!

Look at the manufacturer spec sheets; there will be figures describing the sensitivity of the mic in terms of its output at some fixed pressure. The SM58, for example, has in its spec sheet

SM58 Spec Sheet said:
Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz Open Circuit Voltage)
–54.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV)
1 Pa = 94 dB SPL

which tells us that when the mic is shoved in front of something that makes 94dB worth of noise (think jackhammer from a stone's throw away) and the mic's output is measured in a certain way the voltage between the mic's output pins is 1.85mV.

(Sensitivity at 1,000 Hz means that the noise was a 1kHz sine wave, the second line indicates the strength of the output in two different units, and the third is simply the conversion between Pascals, the usual measure of pressure - 1 N/m^2 - and dB SPL - the way we're used to encountering volumes.)

Basically, make sure things are being compared appropriately and look for the bigger numbers.

Jeff