Recommend a wireless mic for live shows

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
I just noticed that I get sick after every weekend of shows and a friend told me that a lot of singers have that problem until they buy their own mic. Makes sense when you think of all the bacteria in the mic ...

Can anyone recommend a decent work-mic for live use?

Currently wireless mics at Thomann run from 99 Euros for the full package up to 1169 Euros for the top of the line Shure set. I wonder at what point the quality difference becomes negligible in favor of the price?

Any input from those of you who do live shows is very appreciated! :)

I got a wireless SM58 through a voicetone create and it's enough for me by now and so cheap. I'll upgrade to sm58 beta in the future and also buy a voicetone correct for comp and eq too.

I've tried some other cheapo mics but nothing compares.

There are transmitter extensions to plug in if you already have a wired one, so transmitter+receiver=cheaper. Didn't try one of these.

Recently mixed a gig where my mate used a Senn e935. Love it for vocals. Higher gain than a 58 and has a much clearer sound. If it's available in wireless I would recommend putting it up against some other mics in a comparison to see if it suits your voice. The singers in my band also use them and I used them on toms for our recording. All uses reveal a great transient response and clarity of source material. Cuts through a mix well too.
I love these mics.

+1 on the sm58, its an industry standard for vocals and is used in almost every venue wired... so take it to the next level and go wireless with the 58

+1 on the sm58, its an industry standard for vocals and is used in almost every venue wired... so take it to the next level and go wireless with the 58

industry standard mainly because of its the mechanical durability, but honestly it's not even nearly the best sounding mic you can buy, even in its own pricerange.

But I like the Sennheiser G2 series wireless mics, can't remember the numbers. I think it was this one that I've used a lot on several venues.

yep, Sennheisers or whatever it spells, have some kind of hi-pass what makes it clearer, I mean they don't get so much low end

I'm at work at the moment so I'm not going to start chasing Freq responses at the moment, but even if the Senn does have a HPF on it I believe that the e900 series still have plenty of low end left in them. As mentioned above I know three vocalists who use them and have recorded toms with them before. If your vocal needs more 80Hz, I'd you might need a better mic technique, not a new mic.
I would suggest that if that was your experience with Senn mics, it may have been the e800 series, as they suck about as hard as a 58 IME.
I think the e900's crap all over the Shure Beta range though.

industry standard mainly because of its the mechanical durability, but honestly it's not even nearly the best sounding mic you can buy, even in its own pricerange.
QUOTE]

+1

I've had a lot of luck and great reliability from the shure ULX and UHF-R series. The UHF-R is more robust (all metal construction etc.) and feature rich (PC control, networkable, headphone monitor, etc.) however for most applications it's overkill. My experience is stateside so YMMV with the wireless aspects in Germany.
Obviously if you love the sound of Senn handhelds you should go with that.

What I don't get is the difference in price between 200 Euros for Shure mics and 1200 Euros. What is the extended feature set that makes a mic worth 6 times the price? Less feedback prone? Better transmission?

I mean, I mainly play small to medium size clubs (200-1000 ppl) and I don't go on stage with a Neumann U87 either, but with an SM58 ...