Recommend me some earphones/headphones

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi,

All in the title NOTE : I must precise it's not for studio use but for leisure with an mp3 player, my good old Sony ec-something are dying after 5 or 6 years of good service. I would be interested in any pair of earphones in the let's say 60e and more range (although I wouldn't be interested in a 3 canals hitech pair that costs a grand, duh). They have to be at least semi intra, but I suppose it's the case anyway in this price range.

I have nothing against headphones, but I haven't been used to carrying something that big with me all the time, so they would have to fit in a pocket at least, so I don't know, I'm up to the idea as well.

BTW what's that new Beats by dr Dre headphones fashion ? Is that their last idea to have people spend out of a sudden 200e in headphones to look cool while listening their 192kb mp3 through the shitty converters of their smartphone ?

BTW what's that new Beats by dr Dre headphones fashion ? Is that their last idea to have people spend out of a sudden 200e in headphones to look cool while listening their 192kb mp3 through the shitty converters of their smartphone ?

LOL, yea kids in my school think they're sooo cool for having those listening to crappy quality pirated mp3s on their phones.

Anyway, I want to get some nice headphones as well.. I've heard the ATH-M50's are the way to go if you want a really nice 'balanced' or 'natural' sound(pretty cheap too, compared to some high-end 1K+ headphones). But, I can't say forsure because I haven't tried those yet but I'm most likely to buy the M50's if i were to get headphones..

I have to precise it would be to listen to music in the street/bus/plane/whatever, so I'm not looking for pro studio headphones here. It would be overkill to have that in my bag all the time !

I really like my Sennheiser HD650s. I've had them for about 4 years and I really enjoy them
First, I have them (sig), and second, it's not for studio but for general music listening like in the street or whatever. Jesus I have to edit my title or OP ! :)

@ratsapprentice : how do they sit in Sony's current line of products ? I'd like to go to another level, I've had similar earphones and I would be curious of testing 2 transducer earphones, possibly 3 although the price starts to rise dramatically at this level.

I just realized how florishing the market of intras is. There are like gazillons of fancy brands offering their own line of 2 or 3 transducer earphones !

I used Sennheiser Cx 300 for several years (not Cx 300-II), had two pairs for like 6 years as my main in-ears. They are OK for the price, sound quality is good and bass response is "eh". Isolation is not extreme but useful in many conditions. I switched to HD 218 last year and I'm happy with them. I really like Sennheiser's character and sound quality. I tried many other brands, but even hi-end ones didn't fit my liking character wise.

My friend has a pair of Klipsch Image S4 and he's very happy with them.

You can check out Etymotic HF5, very good stuff, clear, uncolored highs and superb noise isolation! I like it much more than Sennhieser IE4, but that's down to personal taste.

The thing about the IE4's is that they have an almost non-existent profile outside the ear, which means that you can sleep with them in.
I've not found another pair of headphones that I can do that with.

Koss Porta Pro

these sound really good, and easily collapsible to fit your pocket (not like jeans pocket though). these are the best consumer headphones i've ever tried. if you're commuting though, you might want to consider other people near you as there's quite a bit of sound bleed on these like most on-ear headphones.

14651_01.jpg

Mon frère s'est acheté des Urbanears Plattan, je les trouve très sympa pour de l'écoute "standard", ils sonnent très hi-fi, très gonflés mais pas désagréables pour autant, et je crois qu'ils ne sont pas très cher et ont un chouette look pour ne rien gâcher... :)

The ATH-M50s are amazing headphones but I don't think they would be the right choice for listening to an MP3 player. I can hook mine up to my iPhone and, while they still sound good, it's nothing compared to listening to them with a good headphone amp. I'm not sure most MP3 players would supply enough power to give you the full listening experience. You may be better off with another option. Just a thought.