Nice Headphones

Got those 300$ Bose over the ear, noise cancelling ones. I am happy with it, but i'm not sure I notice a difference in sound from the 99$ headphones I have for the gym, except for the noise cancelling thing..but that just keeps out sound.

If you're gonna go with Beyerdynamics, then consider if you want closed or open design. The DT770's are closed so you won't leak sound, but at the same time you won't hear shit around you, whereas the DT990's are open. I prefer closed, but that's up to you. Either way, avoid the 880's. They are not worth the money.

Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone - $100.00

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352152438&sr=8-1&keywords=grado[/ame]
#$

Best you're gonna get for under $150

If you're gonna go with Beyerdynamics, then consider if you want closed or open design. The DT770's are closed so you won't leak sound, but at the same time you won't hear shit around you, whereas the DT990's are open. I prefer closed, but that's up to you. Either way, avoid the 880's. They are not worth the money.

The benefit of open is that because they're designed for open air you'll usually get a more natural clarity and resonance, but that comes at the expense of isolation.

Also keep in mind once you get into the upper end of headphones you might want an amp for them. I use a Fiio e11 and it makes a definite difference.

Believe me, bud, the difference between 30 buck Skullcandy headphones and something higher end isn't slight. I mean if all you're listening to is Pandora at the gym or something then sure they're fine, but higher bitrate audio or video? Night and day.

Do they cover your ear? They look a little small...Any drawbacks?

They don't cup completely over the ear, they sit on the ear. They block out all other sound though. They're pretty much the industry standard for DJ headphones. The sound is super crisp and punchy without being overblown in any area. They lightweight and relatively small but they are tough as fuck and all parts on them are replaceable. Mine are about 7 years old and I've just replaced the ear pads for the first time.

I've been using these for about 3 years now. I've had little to no problems with them. The crowd is pretty tangled, but that's about it. Really fucking comfortable as well.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD428-Closed-Circumaural-Headphone/dp/B002DGTGNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352167223&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+428[/ame]

I must acknowledge that sound quality is the only good think KOSS portapros have. I've had like 4 break after the cable came loose. They are cheap and shittly made, they last like a year tops and the supposed lifetime warranty never amounts to getting a new pair, I always end up having to send them somewhere far far away and I tend not to bother. So in other words, they're a bit shit, they just sound about 10 times better than £100 skull candy, for £30.

I must acknowledge that sound quality is the only good think KOSS portapros have. I've had like 4 break after the cable came loose. They are cheap and shittly made, they last like a year tops and the supposed lifetime warranty never amounts to getting a new pair, I always end up having to send them somewhere far far away and I tend not to bother. So in other words, they're a bit shit, they just sound about 10 times better than £100 skull candy, for £30.

Wait I thought Skullcandy used Koss hardware. They are basically portas + emo design no?

(My mistake I guess).

I've been using these for about 3 years now. I've had little to no problems with them. The crowd is pretty tangled, but that's about it. Really fucking comfortable as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...=1352167223&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+428

Sennheiser pissed me off because they made two pairs of headphones, the HD555 for like $110 and the HD595 for $260, and literally ALL that is different is extra foam in the HD555 to make the sound worse. That's not an exaggeration. http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

After I found out about that, I had a decidedly "fuck Sennheiser" attitude. Not that their products aren't good, that just soured me.

I've tried a whole bunch and the Shures come to mind, SRH840 over ear netural phones, top notch! Then there are those of us who want some extra thump and the Ultrasones are the best i've tried so far in the "basshead" catagory. Go to the head-fi basshead thread and see what's in your price range, i got the HFI-580s when they were on sale for $120. Everyone has to pick up a pair of Koss KSC75s though ($15, i liked them better than the portapros, to me the PP sound muddy with overpowering bass, though Fenriz does use them :kickass:) I've always been looking for a closed pair on a budget to take outdoors but it hasn't happened yet, so i make do with those. They are open so i guess it's a good thing to be aware of your surroundings and they have surprisingly decent bass IMO. If you want in-ear-monitors MEElectronics and Brainwavz, as well as Soundmagic IIRC make nice budget ones, but i got sick of sticking them in my ears and getting wax all over the tips/losing tips/tangling cables.
I use Sennheiser HD25-1s. They rule.
Yah somebody told me these are the best rock headphones they've ever listened to (and they've listened to a boatload more than me) but they sit on the ear and i can't justify $200 phones right now. Also interested in the DT770 Beyers later on.
Stay away from Grado, no bass! I'm trying to sell mine still after a year, maybe if you bring along one of those silly expensive amplifiers with you will you get decent bass, but even if you do don't forget those suckers are big time Open, it's like you literally have two speakers pointing away from your head so keep that in mind. Also they tend to be a bit sparkly in the treble. And TBH they're kinda flimsy with the type of headband they use...

Brainwavs M1, man i was so happy with those babies! I ended up giving them to my cousin, but they had a slick cable and nice sweet kick drum bass, the M2s were supposed to be even more bassy, can't imagine how those sound! They were only $40 and came with foam tips which don't make your ears itch.

For people in a budget, get the Audio-Technica ATH-M30. They're cheap, plain response, crystal clear, comfortable, durable and features a good input. I had a Sennheiser HD-280 pair and these ones are way better IMO.

how often do you guys use headphones?
I basically only use them when I cut the grass, or if I go on a random walk.
I own the Sennheiser hd203 and I like em. Not holy fuck amazing, but for the price. good shit

I use in ear JVC budget shits most days and wish I had a really good pair of light headphones, not the big fat ones, but the newer lighter style, or a none broken pair of portapros.

Recvd the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's in the mail yesterday. Shit is fucking stellar and comfortable as fuck. Couldnt be happier with this choice.

Onder, if we ever meet in person Im buying you a lot of beers for this recommendation. :kickass:

I was RIGHT on the verge of getting those, then Staples for some reason was selling the Ludacris Soul 'phones for >50% off. At that price point, there was really nothing to lose, so I took a gamble on the SL150s and you know what? I'm fucking loving these things. Are they on par with the DT990s? I've heard the DTs but I can say noooooooooooooooo with some confidence. Even so, for $70, I honestly can't see myself needing a better pair any time soon.