What a difference...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
My iPod gets a lot of use; at work, at the gym, when I travel, and when in bed. I recently went through two pairs of the earbuds ($40) that come with the iPod. Each time they grew full of static, as if the speaker inside had blown. After that, I tried Sony's earbuds ($42, MDREX71SL). Didn't like the way they fit in my ears, and the sound was less than stellar. Finally, I decided, maybe it was time to step up, and get a nice pair of buds. After doing some research, I was left trying to decide between Shure's E2C ($100) and their E3C ($180). Both are considered "sound isolating". They create a snug fit in your ear, and make it difficult for outside noise to interfere with your music. Since I had no idea how I would like them (sound, comfort, etc.), I decided to buy them from a store with a liberal return policy. I bought the E2Cs. Amazing sound, but I found the heavy chord and the size of the bud (comes with 7 different in-ear attachments) a bit uncomfortable. After three weeks, I returned them. Yesterday I picked the E3Cs. Awesome. Their sound is only a little better than the E2Cs, but they fit in my ears better and the lighter cord more enjoyable.

The sound is amazing. Because they block out all outside noise, I found that I had the volume at less than half what it was with my Apple earbuds. One of the things that many of the reviewers said was, that you'll hear things in your music with Shure's earbuds that you've never heard in your music. They weren't lying. It's amazing to hear all the little nuances that come to the front when listening through these earbuds.

I've heard it said that the difference between the E3Cs (and the E2Cs) and average earbuds is the difference between looking through an open window as opposed to looking through a dirty window. For those who travel, a lot of the reviews I read spoke about Shure's sound isolation completely blocking out airplane engine noise.

Zod

markgugs said:
I wish I could afford $180 iPod speakers.
See it as an investment in saving your hearing from being damaged by unnecessarily loud, unnecessarily harsh cheap earplugs... and also being able to enjoy the music you love more

ipods take away the fun of music. I used to enjoy concentrating on one album and listening to it all from start to finish and using the rewind and fast forward buttons when I got to a part I particularly enjoyed.

Old technology pwns.
Walkmans pwn.

Discuss.

Erik said:
See it as an investment in saving your hearing from being damaged by unnecessarily loud, unnecessarily harsh cheap earplugs... and also being able to enjoy the music you love more

The standard iPod earbuds aren't unnecessarily loud or harsh, they're just not as "clean" as the high-end types like Zod got. I also don't listen to them all THAT often, and not all that loud.

Fair enough, but the stuff he said about having to have dramatically louder volume to hear the music properly on regular earplugs is true.

I use Shure E-3's for my personal monitor system during shows and for practices. I cant praise them enough, crystal clear tone, great fit in the ears, and superb sound isolation. Well worth the investment as headphones or as In-Ear monitors.

You're even better off buying actual good HEADPHONES, but they might be impractical or aesthetically non-pleasing if you're going to walk around with them :shrug:

If I ever needed quality IEMs, I would go with those E3s for sure, but personally I hate the damn things.. would only use them if I had to, i.e. ease of portability.

Don't like sticking things in my ears :p (besides my fingers)

Erik said:
Fair enough, but the stuff he said about having to have dramatically louder volume to hear the music properly on regular earplugs is true.

Sure, that part I might be able to understand. A better headphone/earbud is going to bring more out of the music without having to turn it all the way up. That's a benefit I can understand (just not afford). But I'm not worried about my hearing, at least not from iPod standard headphones. :D

Erik said:
You're even better off buying actual good HEADPHONES, but they might be impractical or aesthetically non-pleasing if you're going to walk around with them :shrug:

I have top-notch headphones for home use; they're 100% impractical for portability though.

Yea, I also have a pair of big bulky shure headphones I use at home for music. Not very portable or stylish but they sound nice, and I prefer putting those on to the earbuds, which I only use as monitors now days.