Metalhead audiophiles-- I need earbuds/IEMs

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
So I'm looking to spend $100-300 on some high quality earbuds or IEMs. I've made some posts on head fi and am doing research on the main audiophile websites but I figured maybe I could get help here too since not a tremendous amount of people listen to Drudkh for instance so it's hard to explain what I'm looking for in a sound.

I've been using some cheap $30 ones but find that it just is not good enough since I've become accustomed to only listening to my Sennheiser HD595s. Now I'm looking to upgrade both but I'm starting with the earbuds since I'm going to spend less on those. I've only tried a couple high end earbuds/IEMs so far, Sennheiser IE80s and Hifiman Re-600s and while the soundstaging and clarity were pretty amazing on both I was not a fan of the tone, especially when listening to metal. Stuff like Emperor just did not sound good. It mainly felt like there was no "power" behind it, the sound was very grainy and thin. So I guess I'm looking for a much more full sound, warm, dark sound. Being able to hear fine details is a definite plus, but honestly the tone is more important to me. If I could just get an earbud version of the sound I get from my HD595s I'd be happy.

Apart from the sound consideration, they also need to have little to no noise isolation since I need to be able to hear people calling out to me etc. at work.

Thanks for any suggestions.