recommend your favorite mixes!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hi,

i'm looking for some stellar mixes to add to my reference cd. i'm mainly looking for great metal, but feel free to throw anything you know at me! :)

right now theres
soilwork-stabbing the drama (you know why)
in flames-clayman (fatness, especially great low end, also cool stuff on the vocals)
katatonia-the great cold distance (awesome ambience work. bogren's the king)
chimaira-resurrection (great individual elements, i.e. drums, guitars, bass etc)
linkin park - hybrid theory (great compression work. you can really hear andy wallace driving the ssl comp differently between the sections)
opeth-ghost reveries (also great ambience work)
kollegah - kollegah (german hiphop, you likely won't know him. strange music, but the sound on that cd is large, full, and hifi, great to check if your mix is too narrow in the mids imho)

it would also be cool if you mentioned what exactly you love about the mix.

thanks!

as i lay dying - shadows are security
perfect circle - thirteenth step
devildriver - these last kind words
devildriver - pray for villains
alice in chains - black gives way to blue
breaking benjamin - Phobia

tbh i have alot of reference mixes ill go to depending on the style, those listed are my most used i guess!

Nickelback - All the Right Reasons
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue (just for track 5)
Paramore - Brand New Eyes
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

For metal stuff, try Plec's new one:

Miseration - The Mirroring Shadow

Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man (extremely heavy and extremely clear. a ton of impact. awesome guitars, bass, drums, and vocals.... all awesome individually, and all awesome together in the mix)

Currently digging
Behold... The Arctopus - Skullgrid (amazing stereo imaging)
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions (audio masterclass)
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien (everything a metal mix should be)

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security

Also:

Textures - Drawing Circles
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Killswitch Engage - Rose of Sharyn

Opeth- Watershed
Amon Amarth- Twilight of the thunder god
Katatonia - The great cold distance
The Haunted- Revolver
Swallow the sun - New moon

Jens Bogren FTW! It also helps that I'm a fan of most of the music he produces haha.

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis.

The kick drum just gels with the guitar tone so much, and the tone is amazing. Sounds nice and droney but really balanced.

Carcass - Heartwork.

Drums sound enormous and the guitars have a huge amount of gain and fit in really nicely.

Behemoth - The Apostasy.

I love how the snare fits into the entire mix on this album, and everything manages to sound 'dark' in a way, but still nice and present/huge. It definitely sounds different to a lot of stuff but I think it sounds amazing.