Neve vs Pro Tools

James Murphy said:
yeah, i use some outboard. in particular i love my Eventide DSP 4000 for delays and some verbs. the UAD.1 is pretty good.. i like it. i bought the big pckage and as Brett says, there's some things i don't use. anyway i still use Waves Platinum more, to be honest.

Thats cool, can't beat the waves stuff. The eventide stuff is class too :)
Thanks James...

Kazrog said:
I have the studio pak, but after market I've bought Cambridge EQ, Precision Limiter, and DreamVerb, which I use on everything. The DSP card is pretty good but I wish I could run these plugins off my G5 CPU, I max out the card about 3 times per session, so I have to bounce/freeze fairly often. I could buy another card, but I'd have to re-purchase all the plug-ins I already own to be able to run them on the other card. Very frustrating how their software authorizations are inseperably tied to your specific card.

Kazrog and Brett...

I have a Studio Pak card and a Project Pak card, and I can run all of the Studio Pak plugs on both cards. I'm positive that the UA plugs are licensed per user, not per card like TC. *shakes fist at TC*

In fact, I think one of the major points of the Project Pak cards was to allow Studio Pak owners to buy extra DSP power without having to buy the Studio Pak over and over again.

In retrospect, I wish they had the Flexi Pak when I bought in. There are plenty of UAD plugs I never use either, as James and Brett were saying.

Anyway, note that the License Type is "Unlimited" in the pic below. That's a screen capture from my account at my.uaudio.com.

uad.jpg

same here. Got the studio pak and there are some plug-ins i never use. Some time ago i got the precision limiter and pultec pro.

It would be great to confirm that the UA plugs are licensed per user, not per card. I would consider getting another one.

This is what I'm inferring from the quote below...

Since plugins are licensed by user, not by card, you have to transfer all or none of your plugin licenses if you are a multi-card owner that decides to sell one of the cards.

It's a very indirect way of saying it, at any rate. *shakes fist at UA*

"UAD-1 multi-card setups, or single cards that have been split away from a group, can be resold and the licenses transferred. However, be aware that plug-in authorization (and the license agreed to during installation) can only exist between UA and a single user. Therefore the UAD-1 transfer policy is ALL OR NONE, meaning you can either sell a single card with all your multi-card plug-in authorizations or none. Obviously plug-in licenses/authorizations cannot be shared or split among multiple users. So when you sell your UAD-1 cards or split away a single card for resale, you have to decide whether to transfer all of your plug-in licenses or none – we cannot be responsible for policing which plug-ins were promised and which plug-ins were actually delivered."

http://www.uaudio.com/support/software/UAD-1/FAQ.html#xfer2

dabhoys said:
Thats cool, can't beat the waves stuff. The eventide stuff is class too :)
Thanks James...
just to clarify, the only "eventide stuff" i'm using is an actual hardware 2U rack unit DSP 4000.. not any of the eventide plug ins.

black sugar said:
Kazrog and Brett...

I have a Studio Pak card and a Project Pak card, and I can run all of the Studio Pak plugs on both cards. I'm positive that the UA plugs are licensed per user, not per card like TC. *shakes fist at TC*

In fact, I think one of the major points of the Project Pak cards was to allow Studio Pak owners to buy extra DSP power without having to buy the Studio Pak over and over again.

In retrospect, I wish they had the Flexi Pak when I bought in. There are plenty of UAD plugs I never use either, as James and Brett were saying.

Anyway, note that the License Type is "Unlimited" in the pic below. That's a screen capture from my account at my.uaudio.com.

uad.jpg

This must be a new policy, then, because I could have sworn it used to be per-card. Sorry for causing trouble!! And that is very good news! Thanks for that! :)

James Murphy said:
just to clarify, the only "eventide stuff" i'm using is an actual hardware 2U rack unit DSP 4000.. not any of the eventide plug ins.

We've a Eventide Eclipse in College haven't got to use it yet. But hope to give it whirl soon :)

Ever use the liquid channel before James?? Was mixing over the weekend got the chance to use it. I didn't get to try the pre's just the compressors. Wasn't that impressed wit it to be honest. I'm going to play with it a bit more too see what results I can get...

_RiseInside_ said:
same here. Got the studio pak and there are some plug-ins i never use. Some time ago i got the precision limiter and pultec pro.

It would be great to confirm that the UA plugs are licensed per user, not per card. I would consider getting another one.

Which UAD stuff is not worth getting and which ones are???

dabhoys said:
Which UAD stuff is not worth getting and which ones are???

I meant "getting another card".

I mostly use the precision limiter, pultec pro, dreamverb, cambridge eq, la2a , 1176 and the fairchild.

He...he...he...this thread is still growin'!!! Cool! Use what works best for ya'!!! In the end it'll be 16bits @ 44.1k!
Hey Colin, I do not work enough at the present time with full bands (Stereo) to say which is better. I come to Ultimate Metal forums to read and take notes from Andy, James, Neil, and you :D If I had a Neve or SSL, I'd be nervous......"No smokin'!!" "Watch that beer!!!!" "Stand over there!" "Step away from the SSL!" :D

I'm in the pcm audio/ D.V.D./ D.T.S. (((5.1))) World. Uncompressed 24bit 44.1k/and or 96k \\ 192k files. :) It's interesting. Taking baby steps.... I prefer 24 at 44.1 Easier on my drives.

What I need to do is make a small recording with like 8 tracks. Record at 3 different sample rates and then mix and master. Take them from beginning to end and see what we get. The stuff I have listened to is 2 track comparisons. And its pretty clear. But we really need to hear what a more complex mix sounds like when tracked and mixed at the varying sample rates.

3D Audio Inc also had a Neve vs Pro Tools disk where they mixed a classical project on a Neve, not sure which one, and then mixed it again on Pro Tools. And we couldnt really tell the difference half the time. But that was classical, and that was a while back.

Colin