New Drum Samples Here

+1 for Newcastle. A better beer than that is hard to find, although Saranac Black & Tan from Utica, NY is pretty fucking good too.

I do dig a Guinness, but only when I'm hungry. GOD DAMN, that is some heavy beer.

Have you ever heard of these bands ???

Are they even metal ????

Some Bands and Engineers:

Acoustic Alchemy
Alaska!
Beulah
Richard Buckner
Cex
Court and Spark
Creeper Lagoon
Crooked Jades
Death Cab for Cutie
Deerhoof
John Doe
Erase Errata
Esther Drang
Get Him Eat Him
Granfaloon Bus
Gravy Train
Andy Hong
Jackpot
Jolie Holland
Lazarus
Mates Of State
Melee
Travis Morrison
Mountain Goats
Roger Moutenot
Nada Surf
Nedelle
Matt Nathanson
Numbers
Okkervil River
Portastatic
Preston School of Industry
Chuck Prophet
Dave Schiffman
Souled American
Spoon
Stratford 4
Sun Kil Moon
Tarentel
Thinking Fellers Local 282
Two Gallants

Hahaha... amazing thread.. i think we have a second JP22 on our hands.. same "i know things better then you, and you suck and dont know shit" ethic..

Anyway.. i would love to hear some of their recordings then.. anyone could say "you suck, im better" ... but without decent proof to back that up, i am going to call this one just another JP22 wannabe... :loco:

kelch said:
Hey, the guy makes some valid points wrt the loud Mastering. CDs are way too loud the mastering smashes dynamics all to fuck.

as for the iron, analog does some things very well... but so does digital

kelch-
but are andys to loud? thats the question because he adressed this whole thing towards mr sneap.
In my opinion not at all.

I love a loudly mastered record... although i dont know much and the general consenus is that it "doesnt let the music breathe". Im sure when done right the music still breathes haha!:p In fact, nothing pisses me off more than a quiet record. Especially on computer when you're listening to a multitude of songs.

I am sure Andy knows about the mastering too loud deal we get a lot lately in the metal production scene..

i think he took a right path right between it being too loud, and the record not keeping up on the modern volume level we have today..

I have a friend that swears when I do final production on cd's at the studio I do them much louder than commercial releases but everything is still in order. I like it. I would rather have to turn the volume down a little to match my normal listening range than be pissed because my knob is all the way up and it's still not loud enough. Maybe if this guy or his friend at Tiny PhoneBooth or whatever it's called knew how to level out a project before mixing it, they could make theirs loud too. Like it should be. Everything is done much louder these days. If you listen to something before digital recording came around, and compare it to something from current times...it will be much louder. A lot of old recordings are being re-mastered for this reason. And because it's muffled, or the low end just isn't there like it use to be. I'm sure back in the day when bands like Whitesnake and such came around they were "too loud", but even their recordings don't compare to the rock/metal albums of today. The industry is just getting louder as time goes by.

Death Cab for Cutie was one of those new "up and coming" bands that were suppose to hit big a while back in whatever genre they are in. Dunno much else about them.

As far as I'm concerned, digital has revolutionized the recording industry. It's much easier now than ever to throw tracks down. Punch-in a million times and everything still sounds the same as the first time through. You don't have to tell a band "alright, you gotta get it down perfect this time or else we have to start over again", lol. Tape is not cheap anymore, and there's a reason. It is a personal preference, but if you notice, probably 99% of your favorite albums nowadays WERE done all digital. Most of the big name studios have switched over to digital a long time ago. I just think people should keep with the times and get over it. Digital is here to stay, trust me it's not going anywhere. Besides, there are plug-ins and other things you can use to recreate that tape sound if absolutely must have it. It's just hiss, less high-end, and a certain mid-range....generally speaking of course. I dunno, maybe if I had some more experience with tape I would be more loving of it, but the experiences I have had were tedious, and horrible. I'm so glad it was only so I could learn how to use the machine, lol. Yep.

~006

Hmm.. just listened to some of their MP3's.. it's not that bad, but come on.. he cant really think this kills the modern digital recordings???

I kind of feel this studio is a bit underground, and it seems he is pulling off a "underground analog studio VS the big evil modern day digital recording studio"..

To discuss this though, is it really worth it in the end?
i mean, i think mr. Arrington should just go back to basics and listen.. what sounds good, sounds good, am i right?

Hammer Bart said:
You can take our eighties big hair and spandex, but you'll never take our Studer!

Actually, you can take a 2 inch, 24 track Studer for about 3-4 grand CDN these days. Not bad for a deck that used to cost 80 grand 2 years ago.

-0z-

006 said:
Death Cab for Cutie was one of those new "up and coming" bands that were suppose to hit big a while back in whatever genre they are in. Dunno much else about them.
They are pretty big actually, I have friends who are into them and they sell out quite a bit of shows. Maybe not mainstream, but they have a big following. They've been profiled in Mix Magazine and some other Audio ones.

Funny thing is... I remember reading they built a home studio to record their albums now. Guess what they bought as the main recorder, well it's not ProTools but they bought an iZ RADAR.
Yup, Digital.

Another funny thing is, I read Bob Katz book on mastering and there's a whole section on cd loudness. He explains how the trend as of late has been louder. People say it's because of radio and people want their songs to stick out, but they did a big test where like 20 engineers mastered the same song (some with really squashed "radio" compression, some with more audiophile techniques) and they brought it to a radio station and they all were the same apparent loudness.

Also he explains in the book how if you really wanted to make an album with loudness as the goal, you could make a louder album recording/mixing it analogue instead of digital.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Mmmm, don't get on Tiny Telephone Studios, I'm pretty sure these guys have nothing to do with this guy (they wouldn't have bought a PT Mix Plus if they did) so no need to attack them nor their clients. Peace.
I agree. And about this guy writing to andy: he's just a sour soul with no education. He's probably envious of one of the most successfull metal producers today. I won't take any notice. I love andy's work, and even if I didn't, I'd know better than writing a stupid, insulting rant to the man himself. It's just not the way to do things.