Thinking about....... and Apogee AD-16 X

John Haddad (Shiva Industries)

Dump Truck Repairs
Nov 17, 2005
Corona, CA
www.trenchstudio.com
Thinking about selling off my current studio so I can build a whole new one @ my home I just bought, I just feel like I need a clean start with gear and to downsize a bit. I want to start mixing in the box with a controller console (any recommendation for LOGIC 7 compatible console?). hmmmmmm. Im a analog mixer at this point meaning I record to comp. but track and mix though an analog console.

I was debating buying the Apogee AD-16 X thinking that should be enough for live drum tracks and without having a console to moniter though I shouldnt need the D/A converters or am I mistaken? Do I need the D/A to bounce files from the program to a stereo 24 bit file??? Hmmmmmm

Anyone try these converters yet or heard anything from someone who owns them, I know apogee is the shit as far as converter go. Any words of encouragement in this matter im contemplating would be greatly appreciated.:kickass:

The AD-16 X works alright as an interface with the firewire card installed but I've heard reports of reliability problems (audio drop outs, jitter even when synced to an external clock) when using the fw for long periods of time. I'd recommend using an ADAT interface (or the Apogee symphony, I've heard great things about that card) and running the Apogee into that. For D/A you could look at a stereo converter, if you want to stick with Apogee the Rosetta 200 would do the job. You'd want a decent word clock though too, so the Big Ben is worth a look.

It all adds up but at the end of the day you would get an awesome sounding set-up.

As far as controllers go you should look at the Mackie Universal controllers.

Razorjack said:
The AD-16 X works alright as an interface with the firewire card installed but I've heard reports of reliability problems (audio drop outs, jitter even when synced to an external clock) when using the fw for long periods of time. I'd recommend using an ADAT interface (or the Apogee symphony, I've heard great things about that card) and running the Apogee into that. For D/A you could look at a stereo converter, if you want to stick with Apogee the Rosetta 200 would do the job. You'd want a decent word clock though too, so the Big Ben is worth a look.

It all adds up but at the end of the day you would get an awesome sounding set-up.

As far as controllers go you should look at the Mackie Universal controllers.

Thanks for the input and heads up. :headbang:

I currently run (2) Motu HD-192's and love them just thought there might be some better (audible) converters out there, I heard just the addition of a Beg Ben would clean/tighten up the MOTU's Tremendously.?.?

As far as the controllers go Ive had that one before and was looking maybe for a larger all in one unit like the Euphonix Type.