Mr. Sneap... need your opinion!

Desperado

New Metal Member
Jun 4, 2004
Hi!

I'd like to buy a cost effective console just for monitoring and summing. I don't like mixing in the box for several reasons, but that's not the question here. I was thinking of either a Mackie 8 bus console or a Soundcraft Ghost. The Ghost is discontinued, so the easiest to get my hands on would be Mackie I guess. I'm using Nuendo with RME soundcard and Apogee ad/da.

I also have pretty decent outboard including API, Focusrite, Amek, Chandler, SSL G Series Compressor, NTP and other stuff... so there's nothing wrong with my preamps/compressors/eq's. I won't be using the console's pre's or eq's. Now, do you think I'd be cool with a Mackie or Soundcraft, or would I need to spend more on a better console? What would you suggest? A few comments would really help.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Desperado,
I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'd go for the Ghost with the modded powersuply. But then again I would also like to know how big the difference would actually be compared to a Mackie 8-bus console. If the step down isn't too big, I'd rather go for a Mackie since it's cheaper. I know these consoles are not really considered as pro audio gear, but like you said, if you bypass the preamps and don't use the EQ, you'll be able to get some great results... that is, if you have good outboard. And you obviously do.

Cheerz,
DD

well I still have a mackie, Bob Rock used to have one in his home studio from what I remember looking at pics in mix mag so..
I still use mine for mobile stuff, can't knock it for the cost.
Testaments Gathering album was mixed on a ghost (with some out board stuff) ,you can make either desk work, both good for the money in my oppinion.

Thanks guys!
Andy, would you recommend one over the other? I mean in terms of sound, functions, easy to work with, etc. etc...?

Desperado

Some models of the ghost have machine controls and mute automation which is a plus. I think the pre's on the ghost sound better than the old mackies, but I've not heard the newer mackie 8-bus so they may be just as good.