Control 24 or Keep my Mackie 32.8 Analog

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
So I am considering buying a used Digidesign Control 24 and selling my Mackie 32.8 Analog Console.

As it stands, I use the Mackie's first 16 XLR inputs for most Drum mics and Bass. I use a Grace Design Model 101 for Vocals and Guitar and sometimes Bass.

I generally bypass the EQ section and use the Direct Outs to connect to my 2 Nuendo/RME Converters.

The other 17-32 inputs go unused. I could see them being handy if I used the other 16 inputs for Mixing but I have always done the mixing inside the DAW.

The only other features I use the Mackie for is Monitoring control and talkback.

Some people say going from the DAW to an Analog Console for Mixing adds back that Analog Warmth and so on.

I just haven't bothered to do it because it seems like going backwards to me and I see so many great recordings mixed all inside the box.

So I am looking for recommendations.

The Control 24 has most of the Monitoring, Talkback and 16 focusrite Preamp inputs which I assume are better than the Mackie. Does anyone even use the built in Control 24 preamps, or better external preamps? Andy?

And obviously it controls Pro Tools.

I don't mind using the keyboard, but I can imagine that its nice to just reach out and move a fader or twist a pan knob instead of clicking on a window then finding your knob and trying to manipulate it with the mouse pointer.

Obviously I will have to put out another $2-3k after selling the Mackie to get a used Control 24.

Would it be worth it, or should I experiment more with the Mackie and keep on using the mouse and keyboard?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

The Control 24 is nothing but a giant mouse with faders and pres. Audio does not pass thru the channels like on the Pro Control. The monitor features on the Control 24 are nice though. If you are not inclined to touch faders (I am), then I wouldn't recommend shelling out so much for the Control 24. I've actually never used the pres on them (there's always something better in the racks), but I doubt that you'll lose anything that the Mack pre's gave you. One thing that always drove me insane about the Control 24 is the cheap-ass balsa wood faders. You'd think for the price that they're asking there'd be some P&G's on there or something... Maybe there are some aftermarket replacements?

As far as using the console for analog summing, "warmth" is not what you'll gain. Mostly, that whole thing is about space, dimension, and separation in the stereo field. It can be done ITB, but it takes a lot of work and/or experience to achieve.

Having used neither, I'd say go for the Control 24. There aren't any alternatives that offer anything like the Control 24, and if you are doing things inside the box and don't need all the pre's the Mackie has then it seems to make sense. I'm looking at the control surface market right now, and since I'm a non PT user, my options are Tascam US2400 (no meterbridge, amongst other things), or Mackie MCU, which looks pretty tasty, but quite expensive, and also I'll probably want to get the expander.

i start a class in 5 days on a brand-spanking new control 24

i'll give you my impressions of it after i've used it if you like

i've also used a mackie d8b and soundcraft ghost in the same room...both of which were tossed for the control 24, so i can make a slight comparison of how it holds up to those, but it won't exactly be scientific, since i can't A/B anything between

I use the mackie 32.8 plus a 24 expander. The last 8 channels are use for my nuendo-m audio firewire 410 set up and I love having faders instead of a mouse. Just remember you lose talkback I'm not sure the control 24 has that function

i start a class in 5 days on a brand-spanking new control 24

i'll give you my impressions of it after i've used it if you like

i've also used a mackie d8b and soundcraft ghost in the same room...both of which were tossed for the control 24, so i can make a slight comparison of how it holds up to those, but it won't exactly be scientific, since i can't A/B anything between

Definately would appreciate a comparison.

Scorpio01169: I believe the specs on the Control 24 say built in Talkback mic.

yea it's got built in TalkBack...

The pre's in the Control|24 are mediocre... they're not BAD, but they're not GOOD really either... I'd say they're on par with maybe the Firestudio pre's...
Nothing too impressive, and kinda disappointing for such an expensive control surface...

I would at least consider buying a separate control surface, preamps, and monitor section.
The preamps on the control 24 are basically focusrite platinum series-- sort of a side step from the mackie. As MK said, the faders leave much to be desired and I believe there are some reliability issues as well.

control 24 only works 50% of the time.

I've worked extensively on all three of those boards. The Control24 looks cooler (kinda like a futuristic API or Neve 80xx) and is more "official" if you're using Pro Tools, but it costs a lot for what it is. The Ghost has borderline great pres and fat eq's but only midi mute automation and subsequently has no control over any DAW (maybe transport since I used to sync a BRC to it), and it's kinda ugly lookin and gets hot. The d8b has onboard dynamics and time-based fx (which is always a plus in digi land), full automation, top-notch sync (add-in card) and conversion by Apogee, control over Pro Tools via HUI, very smooth knobs, good (but plastic) faders, and it sounds great if you stroke it just right. It's starting to look a little dated, but still...The d8b wins.

Shit, I might have to buy one now.

I just noticed today there was a Digidesign "Pro Control" that is now discontinued.

Anyone know much about that?

Im getting a bit scared on the Control 24 since Andy brought up the powersupply issues and I am now seeing this problem all over the net.

Is Digidesign replacing them? Or do you have to pay for them? Are they all turning into Lemons or are some of them still great flawless units?

Pro Control is/was pretty much a rip-off. It works pretty well, but it's still 99% plastic. When they were new they ran around $10k just for the center module with 8 channels and L/R. You could add on banks of 8 for like 4 grand each. The shiny silver plastic coated faders are really smooth, but sometimes the motor will give you resistance if you move too slow. Then one of 'em will die out of nowhere and you'll have to power cycle it until it dies completely. It's common.

Sounds like you're hell-bent on the C24...

Unless you're using PTHD, I wouldn't even consider it.

i said i would comment on the control 24 after my class started...and i lied

the studio has a D-command console, not the control 24, so sorry

No worries.

I am still wondering if Digidesign has worked the bugs out of the new Control 24's.

Im a bit scared to buy an old one.

Or an Icon would be nice!

Lucky you get to try one.

The D-Command looks like its getting alot of use from Pro's. Wonder what the retail price is.

i used a pro control in a london studio...
ick.
horrible faders, and genneraly naff.
it has macros built into it which are kinda cool. but i could've lived without the whole centre section.
it also has about 3 diferent mice on it.... why??

if im not mistaken, the faders on the control 24 are the same as on the 002/003 and command 8. Which is odd coz they handle very differently.
the 002 faders are very fast, and sometimes a little rough; whereas the command 8 faders are much smoother but slower.

if im not mistaken, the faders on the control 24 are the same as on the 002/003 and command 8.

Not the same. And short of the newer units, the Pro Control has the smoothest faders of all the PT compatible controllers. They're still cheap pieces of crap though.