Recommend me an audio interface/soundcard/converter

FarBeyondMetalGONE

New Metal Member
Sep 27, 2005
AUsTraLIA
hi!

i need a soundcard/converters/interface or whatever, just something that will get me around 8in/out to my PC, i don't want to go for Lynx or Apogee yet...
so i was thinking RME or something.. i have around $1500

the RME adi-192dd or adi-8pro/ds look cool,
but with the ADI-192 i dont understand what cables are required to get signal in and out..
also would the fireface800 provide the same quality?

will be using nuendo..

any help would be appreciated, thanks.. :)

The RME FF800 is right in your price range. If you look around, you can get them for around $1100. I've heard of people geting great deals on them from Guitar Center.

Hell, the FF400 might be all you need. Save a few bucks for a nice preamp or something.

In other words, I LOVE MY FF800.

That's fine.

FBM - what you need to figure out is if you need 2 or 4 built-in preamps? If you only need two, then the FireFace400 would save you some money. It's basically the same damn thing as the FireFace800 but it has 2 less mic preamps. Still has ADAT I/O, 8 line I/O, S/PDIF, Word Clock I/O, and MIDI I/O. They are usually $999.

~e.a

Polpotkin said:
Quick question, Is the Fireface a better choice than digi002? why, if so?

IMO, yes. I just got my Fireface800 today so I'm a bit biased, BUT, with the fireface you get superior convertors, pre's and amazing routing capabilities. RME makes rock solid, quality stuff.

<3 RME

Digidesign's LE line is way overpriced IMO. That being said I've owned an MBox and a 002R and thought the 002R was "amazing". I sold it off and got a MOTU 828mkII to replace it...wow, same exact quality for much less. The RME stuff is just in a league of it's own compared to Digi's LE stuff (Mbox, 002 and 002R), and that league is higher up in the chain as well. The converters are outstanding and the onboard preamps are definitely a step above the Focusrites in the 002.

CJWall said it best though...it's just an overall better unit. I can't wait to get my FireFace400 in.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
That's fine.

FBM - what you need to figure out is if you need 2 or 4 built-in preamps? If you only need two, then the FireFace400 would save you some money. It's basically the same damn thing as the FireFace800 but it has 2 less mic preamps. Still has ADAT I/O, 8 line I/O, S/PDIF, Word Clock I/O, and MIDI I/O. They are usually $999.

~e.a
actually, i don't need any built-in preamps... lol

FarBeyondMetal said:
actually, i don't need any built-in preamps... lol

You say that now and so did I. But, I now use them on every tracking session.

Plus, they are there if you ever take your unit mobile.

Exactly.

And this goes to show how inexperienced you are, without me asking...because you can never ever have too many or "enough" preamps. Forget the numbers game, sure you may not need two extra preamps at your disposal...but what about the fact that you can get different "colors" by using the extras? or if the other ones you always use go out? Random things come up where you will some day need those extras, and you'll have them. There's never such a thing as too many pres.

~e.a

for those of you utisling the fireface (either 400 or 800)..

I'm considering upgrading from a Delta 1010LT and am wondering whether it's worth it when taking into consideration the rest of my setup. I know there's better pre's and converters in the fireface units, but will I see tangible benefits by combining the Fireface with the following?:

- DMP3 pre-amp (I'm not using the crappy pre-amps on the 1010LT)
- Tannoy Active Reveal 5 Monitors
- SM Pro MPatch PVC
- PODXT
- Tascam US-2400 (my god I love this thing)
- M-Audio Axiom 49
- Radial ProRMP for reamping.
- Sansamp Bass Driver

Basically, I'm looking to see if I can improve the fidelity of what I input into my DAW and also what's output into my monitors. I also use the same system for listening to CD's/Mp3's 4-5 hours a day so don't mind splashing the cash to please my ears if I will see a tangible benefit in making the upgrade to a Fireface.

Thoughts appreciated :)

elephant-audio said:
Exactly.

And this goes to show how inexperienced you are, without me asking...because you can never ever have too many or "enough" preamps. Forget the numbers game, sure you may not need two extra preamps at your disposal...but what about the fact that you can get different "colors" by using the extras? or if the other ones you always use go out? Random things come up where you will some day need those extras, and you'll have them. There's never such a thing as too many pres.

~e.a
calm down... i was just saying i don't "NEED" them, it's not a requirement for my choice of interface...

fking unbeleivable... :rolleyes:

A FireFace400 would seriously up the quality compared to a 1010LT. The DMP3 is actually a highly regarded preamp amongst the community, and you seem to have some pretty decent monitors as well.

~e.a

Calm down? I was perfectly calm when I posted that...I was just simply stating that you never have too many preamps and that the fact that you said you don't "need" them shows everyone and myself how inexeperienced you are. It's as simple as that. I'm not worked up, my blood pressure is perfectly normal...it's not like I'm freaking out when I type this stuff. It was a simple reply and an observation.

If anything...you should calm down with the assumptions there dude.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
Calm down? I was perfectly calm when I posted that...I was just simply stating that you never have too many preamps and that the fact that you said you don't "need" them shows everyone and myself how inexeperienced you are. It's as simple as that. I'm not worked up, my blood pressure is perfectly normal...it's not like I'm freaking out when I type this stuff. It was a simple reply and an observation.

If anything...you should calm down with the assumptions there dude.

~e.a
ass-umptions.. your the one who keeps having to make note that i'm INEXPERIENCED!!!!

yet, you don't know me....

thats fine... :headbang:

FBM....from one (former) Aussie to another....calm down bro I think you've taken EA's point out of context and a tad defensively.. In the couple of months I've been here I've found this place is a fantastic "well of knowledge" from which to draw. So play nice eh? :)

sparkyness said:
for those of you utisling the fireface (either 400 or 800)..

I'm considering upgrading from a Delta 1010LT and am wondering whether it's worth it when taking into consideration the rest of my setup. I know there's better pre's and converters in the fireface units, but will I see tangible benefits by combining the Fireface with the following?:

- DMP3 pre-amp (I'm not using the crappy pre-amps on the 1010LT)
- Tannoy Active Reveal 5 Monitors
- SM Pro MPatch PVC
- PODXT
- Tascam US-2400 (my god I love this thing)
- M-Audio Axiom 49
- Radial ProRMP for reamping.
- Sansamp Bass Driver

Basically, I'm looking to see if I can improve the fidelity of what I input into my DAW and also what's output into my monitors. I also use the same system for listening to CD's/Mp3's 4-5 hours a day so don't mind splashing the cash to please my ears if I will see a tangible benefit in making the upgrade to a Fireface.

Thoughts appreciated :)

For sure man. I went from an M-Audio MobilePre to the Fireface.. and WOW. When I first fired it up after I had gotten it all updated and configured, I got one of those big, uncontrollable grins on my face.

Sounds fantastic. I've only done a quick test w/my ENGL and damn, it sounds excellent.. finally, 24bit recording.. lol. sad. The only slightly confusing part for me is TotalMix. Amazingly powerful but somewhat complex.. I've got everything working how I'd like, but I'm not sure how I got to that point, just alot of guess work..

::grabs manual::