Recommendation: Boris - Flood

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Ah... Boris. The mighty shapeshifting Japanese juggernauts of drone, heavy rock, shimmery soundscapes, all-out noise, Motorhead worship, vinyl-collecting hysteria and occasionally indie scene cred. Recommending anything by this band is a difficult task to say the least, as there is no chance of finding any release representative of the entire Boris sound and mystique. However, Flood, a single 71-minute composition, achieves a level of hypnotic grandeur that surpasses any of the other Boris material I've heard.

As I toyed with the idea of recommending this favourite from my collection, I worried about how exactly I'd present a slice of this massive album in a way that gives an idea of the way it shifts, evolves and moves ever so slowly but surely. This music is definitely repetitive, but in a way that, while many bands attempt, few ever truly achieve. I give up. I'm just going to hit you with the first half of the album. It rules and if you don't like it you should probably see a doctor.

Disclaimer: Anyone around here who would like this kind of shit probably already knows and loves this album. I do not care.

Boris - Flood
Released: 2000

0000547268.jpg

1. Flood part 1 (14:42)
2. Flood part 2 (13:34)
3. Flood part 3 (20:38)
4. Flood part 4 (##:##)

I just listened to Flood Part 1, and while it didn't suck at all, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the album. I'm curious to hear the entire album and how it progresses into doom.

It wasn't boring at all, but I want something more evil:heh:

Haven't heard this one despite being as well acquainted with Boris as their highly confusing discography permits...thanks for posting, despite being highly minimalist, it's also among the more accessible material I've heard from this band. And I think there's a good chance you'd at least be able to tolerate Altar if Black One doesn't bother you...

Disclaimer: Anyone around here who would like this kind of shit probably already knows and loves this album. I do not care.

I like some of the bands that Boris is often mentioned along with, mostly the post-metal stuff I suppose (Isis, Pelican, etc.), but have never gotten around to checking out any Boris. So thanks for this.

The first half of the first song sucked a royal ass (Prince Charles's, I'm thinking). Then when that first whooshing bass rumble came in, I seriously thought my house was falling down. When I realized it was coming from my stereo, I crawled out from under my table and said "whoa. that was pretty cool".

The second track got a lot better, and probably made up enough for the ass-sucking to make me actually interested in this thing. To reference things I know that probably don't apply, it had some feelings of Naervaer in there, or even (dare I say it) Dornenreich's 'Hexenwind'.

It's weird how this isn't listed in their wikipedia discography. If you're a true Boris fan, I think you need to add it.

Neil

This is my favourite Boris album by far. As for the first track: it is great! wtf!? i was confused when those bass rumbles started happening the first time i listened too :lol:

I was considering uploading the whole thing, but the ripping software cut me off after track 3. Not cool.

I'm listening to it again right now though. Total ruleage, beginning to end.