Recommendation: Dargaard - Rise and Fall

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
au1112_photo.jpg

1. Rise and Fall
2. Bearer of the Flame
3. Niobe http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3624126A066EBE95
4. Takhisis Dance
5. Winter
6. Ave Atque Vale
7. Queen of the Woods http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3A275BC57BDDD892 Listen to this one first
8. Ancestors of Stone

I'm sure some of you are familiar with this Austrian duo, but this is, of course, for those of you who are not. Dargaard is the brainchild of one Tharen, who was the original vocalist for the mighty Abigor. He decided to leave Abigor's vocal duties behind soon after some demos (but I believe still played some keyboards), to concentrate on Dargaard. He also has a black metal band called Amestigon that has released a few splits and an EP. The other half of Dargaard is Elisabeth Toriser, providing vocals. She is mostly known for her work on Abigor's masterful Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) album. Tharen and Toriser also team up in Dominion III, which plays a form of music similar to Dargaard, but with more of an industrial slant.

Now that some of you are rolling your eyes because you believe J. is recommending another masterpiece of black metal, fear not! Dargaard plays a form of neoclassical music which is very sombre and dark. No guitars to be found here. Comparisons can be made to Dead Can Dance, In the Nursery, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, but most notably, Protector's (Summoning) own side band, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas.

The music, made up entirely of programmed drums and keyboards has an effect not unlike Jesu, perhaps. It can be sombre and hopeless, then quickly and fluently become triumphant or hopeful. The vocals of Toriser are hardly the "gothic" type, but more of an Enya style, which fits the music to perfection. Toriser also knows when to let the music flow, allowing Tharen to take the listener on his journey.

Rise and Fall is Dargaard's fourth album. The first three comprised the Eternity Trilogy. While Rise and Fall is not necessarily my favorite Dargaard album, it is the one I am currently spending the most time with, hence the recommendation. It would make a fine starting point. If just one of you picks up a Dargaard album, my work is done. Excellent for late night listening sessions. So endeth the lesson.

http://www.dargaard.com/

This is really, really, really gay. Sounds like fucking Enya.

I'm not saying I dislike it, I'm just stating what it is.

this isn't bad at all, considering what style it is, but I'd have to be in a certain mood to throw it on.

for some reason, I'm not much into gothic female vox, and it takes away from bands like this or The Gathering and wot not

Queen of the Woods is a beautiful song. I heard these guys long ago and forgot what they were all about. Consider your mission... accomplished. I'll gladly pick up one of their albums.

I know I've check this band out before and considering I have none of their albums (on CD or as mp3), I guess I wasn't too impressed. These samples seem to be better than what I remembered, however, I still don't know if I'd pick up an album unless I found it for a great price.