Recommendation: Envy - Insomniac Doze

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Recommendation: Envy – Insomniac Doze

envy.jpg

1. Further Ahead of Warp - http://www.temporaryresidence.com/mp3s/envy_furtherahead.mp3
2. Shield of Selflessness
3. Scene - http://download.yousendit.com/2AE81E4B5CE013C5
4. Crystallize
5. The Unknown Glow
6. Night in Winter
7. A Warm Room

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256713

The Neur-Isis-core and post-rock movements have largely been centered in the United States, but one of the more formidable acts blending those two styles hail from Japan. Maybe that’s not a complete surprise since Temporary Residence also provides shelter for Explosions in the Sky, Mono, and used to for The Halifax Pier. However, Envy’s Insomniac Doze is perhaps the most emotional record of recent memory, which is kind of shocking because the lyrics are sung in the band’s native tongue. Though there is an English translation in the booklet – and bleak, desolate pictures that encapsulate the aural vibes – Envy once again prove that music does indeed transcend all language barriers.

The distortion-free portions of Insomniac Doze recall the meekness and despondency of Kentucky’s The Photographic, while the more tumultuous parts are in tune with Ohio’s Mouth of the Architect. I fully endorse the group’s clean and unclean vocals, the latter strained and desperate in all their scream-like glory. While “The Unknown Glow” initially moves along at a lazy river’s pace – differentiation provided by brass – it eventually explodes, upping the tempo and aggression. But the most breathtaking excerpt from this hour-long journey is the majestic, 7-minute “Scene,” which simply reaffirms my love for music.

Envy really have something here with Insomniac Doze – an album that is soothing, relaxing, and calming, yet is quite the opposite of soporific. Fans of Neur-Isis-core, post-rock, and even instrumental p-r will most likely be rapt upon hearing this Japanese import. I was, and still am.

Official Envy Website
Official Temporary Residence Website

Order Envy – Insomniac Doze at The End

Are you familiar with A Dead Sinking Story and ..footprints..?

It's a good album but very similar to the previous. I haven't given it much spins (yet) due to that..

I don't know if I find anything particularly life affirming in that track, but it still sounds powerful and uplifting, and contrasts with the more choatic post-hardcore of some of the other Envy material I've heard (mostly from Dead Sinking Story). It also reminds me of his guest appearance on Mogwai's latest. Good recommendation as usual.
As for abusing your powers, uploading in WMA does come close... :)

dead sinking story rules, it's almost draining to listen to though

very interested in this, i'll add it to The List...which is getting quite long these days.....sigh

Dev said:
Are you familiar with A Dead Sinking Story and ..footprints..?

It's a good album but very similar to the previous. I haven't given it much spins (yet) due to that..

No, that's probably why it affected me so much. I just ordered "DSS," though, from The End.