Recommendation: Fear Factory - Demanufacture

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Fear_Factory_Demanufacture.jpg

Another back to basics reco. I'm surprised this band isn't discussed more, as they have a lot of classic sounds that RC loves. It's thrashy, fast, has two types of great vocals, and for a "mechanical" sounding album, it has a lot of emotion. My only guess is that people judge the band based on what they've become, rather than where they came from. That's like judging Megadeth based on Risk.

It's a classic, through and through. No doubt.

1. Demanufacture
2. Self Bias Resistor
3. Zero Signal
4. Replica
5. New Breed
6. Dog Day Sunrise
7. Body Hammer
8. Flashpoint
9. H-K (Hunter-Killer)
10. Pisschrist
11. A Therapy for Pain

http://www.fearfactory.com/main.htm

Great reco. This is definitely their peak. Fear Factory haven't been able to match this yet, and are getting even further away from its brilliance, as evidenced by Digimortal, Archetype, Transgression, and whatever will come next. They continue to get worse and worse, unfortunately.

With that being said, it kind of surprises me that you like them J. Can't explain why, though.

this is one of the bands that started J's metal adventure. ill always have a soft spot for them.

i even want Burton Bell's side project album, Ascension of the Watchers. suppose to be very influenced by joy division i think

One of the first "real metal" bands I got into. I really liked Obsolete as well, but after that it was a very abrupt downhill dive so to speak.

I've been wanting to buy this album for some time, I'll probably order it quite soon.

I'm listening right now to Cyberwaste from the Archetype album. It's a pretty solid song and if the rest is just as good, why are people saying they got worst album after album?

Soul of a New Machine - a more or less industrial-ish death metal album. pretty good
Demanufacture - a classic. their best
Obsolete - second best. some classic songs
Digimortal - their "nu" album. has one rap track and half assed songs. i dig some of it
Archetype - a return to form, somewhat.
Transgression - garbage. though the band states this was their experimental album

non-fans like to focus on digimortal a lot, ignoring the fact that FF was doing this sound long before any of the bands they listen to

I'm looking for some FF albums because IMO they fit pretty well in a car..... I'm getting some sort of car albums collection.

So far I'm using these:
SYL - City
Meleshesh - Sphynx and Emissaries
Gojira - FMTS
Grip Inc. - Nemesis
Biomechanical - Empire of the Worlds
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin

Soon:
Fear Factory - the 3 albums mentionned in this thread
Tankard - Their new shit

Ride the Lightning would fit pretty well too.

This album along with Obsolete are friggin' ace. They both have a few down moments, but they are still incredibly solid albums that still rock.

Grip Inc. never did any wrong, in particular their last one. Great band, similar to these dudes in a lot of ways. Probably in as many ways as they are not, but whatever. :dopey:

my main problem with Grip Inc. (almost said my main grip) is that they fill their albums with a lot of well... fillers. On their last, I remember skipping track 7 to 10. Same goes with Nemesis and their first album. So many songs I skip on their albums.