Recommendation: ROOT

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
ROOT

Hailing from the Czech Republic, ROOT have actually been around since the late 80's. Totally cult and furthermore, wickedly eccentric & occult, ROOT would happily co-exist with the likes of MERCYFUL FATE and (pre-viking) BATHORY, both in sound and ideaology. This inherently should seal their place in the first wave of Black Metal. However, for the most part, I sense they are vastly undiscovered.

ROOT have released 7 full length albums and a whole host of demos, splits, and EPs. This thread will cover a select few albums. What's particularly significant is that they have progressed and matured in sound over the years all the while remaining true to their original foundation, or if you will, roots, heh. The following samples demonstrate their evolution. (I'm also including a live version of a track so you get a feel for how immense it must be to witness this extravaganza up on stage.)

Hell Symphony (1991)
hellsymphony_4140.jpg

"Leviathan (Live)" :kickass:

The Temple in the Underworld (1992)
thetempleintheunderworld_4141.jpg

"The Wall" :kickass:

The Book (1999)
thebook_4144.jpg

"The Book" :kickass:

Black Seal (2001)
blackseal_4145.jpg

"The Festival of Destruction" :kickass:

The last two samples are taken directly from the band's website. As you can hear, the development across the albums is extraordinary. Watch out for the clean vocals -- as I mentioned earlier, it's a little eccentric and imagine a vocalist at the opposite end of the spectrum to KING DIAMOND.

Magical, mystical, candles lit...it's a journey to the depths of the underground.

This recommendation is brought to you by RIFF-O-RAMA vision.

\m/ IN NOMINE SATANAS \m/

Good band but can get tedious at times. VERY occult vibe. The old bastard of their vocalist totally rules. I own The Book and The Black Seal but traded away Kargeras, which is a curveball in their discography.

Great rec. i really like all songs "The Wall" is my favourite of these, so i suppose i have to search for "The Temple Of The Underworld". Off topic, you say "with the likes of Mercyful Fate and Bathory", like they have musical similarities.. c' mon...

I'd also very much add the EPIC METAL concept album Kargeras (which came after Temples in the Underworld, but before THE BOOK.

Yeah, I have it on one of my double CD releases...but I'm not familiar enough with it to recommend it yet.

I own The Book and The Black Seal

Try the above samples from the earlier releases: quite different, less complex perhaps.

you say "with the likes of Mercyful Fate and Bathory", like they have musical similarities.. c' mon...

There is a similar vibe but you need to hear the full albums, and again, there's no reason why Root shouldn't also be considered 1st wave.

Personally, I think the song "Leviathan" sounds like early Bathory. The riff at 0:38 is total Bathory worship. That whole album needs to be heard to appreciate their sound. For example, the studio version of "Leviathan" even has the sounds of ocean waves crashing....also, as Root developed their sound, they took on a slight Mercyful Fate vibe, or if anything, elements of King Diamond.

Listening to Leviathan atvmimml. I once checked out these mommas boys on their myspace and was shrouded in a cloud of indifference. We will see if my opinion can be swayed to the dark side.

The harsh vocals on Festival of Destruction remind me of Poema Arcanus for no reason. Based on the samples I'd say the first albums are more my taste. The late stuff is a bit more 'wanky' if I may say.

I still need to pick up their early stuff, much as I love The Book and Black Seal, I remember first hearing a couple of tracks off "The Temple In the Underworld" and being completely sucked in. Of course, I could never actually find the album after that...

Top Recommendation, JK

I have "The Book" downloaded somewhere, but couldn't remember a thing about it. I think I know why now - I probably didn't even listen to this all the way through because I really fucking hate those vocals. They're actually getting on my nerves.

"The Wall" is actually really :kickass:though, due in part to the vocals not being as annoying. That live track is pretty nice too.

The vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but I can handle all sorts so it was pretty quick for me. I actually ended up on a Root binge trying to track down everything in one go. I'm still missing their last two releases.

And yes, their earlier material is different in that it's a lot more stripped down and harsh, much of it blackened thrash. They've also always had a very 'analog' sound, in that these guys have NEVER sounded like they've been overprocessed, not even on their latest, more progressive releases, thank goat).

Yep, "The Wall" is phenomenal. That riff change after the first couple of minutes intro is spectacular. Truth be told, Temple in the Underground might be my favorite ROOT album. It's their transition album so it's best of both worlds.