svesturfautkd2.jpg

Released: 2005
Label: End All Life Productions
Nationality: France

Tracklist
01. Putréfiance Rédemptrice
02. Nuit de Walpurgis
03. Epitaphe

This is one decadent brand of black metal that can only originate from a demented mind... or from France. S.V.E.S.T.'s music is the closest thing to total chaos I've heard in a good while, actually since Blut aus Nord's "The Mystical Beast of Rebellion", and the latter had much cleaner production values. Extremely thick and dirty, not to say messy as dozens of lines seem to collide into one another, dragged even deeper into confusion by the inextricable drumming patterns and cancer-stricken shrieks. Put like that, it might as well be a true piece of shit, but pray believe that it's not. Granted, it's easy to lose your grasp on what's going on, but somehow, though some acoustic phenomenon, the key to the whole madness is always within reach, as you catch up with some watermarked melodic thread, one of several neck-breaking riffs or simply give up control on your body and set into some transe-like fit of destruction. This is black metal beyond the obvious, as they say. I've been going totally apeshit for this band from the first second and I hope some of you will, too.

Now, I'd hate to break the rules of the reco game, but since "Urfaust" consists of three tracks only, I feel I can't reasonably offer more than one song to d/l. And so as a compensation I shall introduce S.V.E.S.T.'s other 2005 release "Coagula - L'Ether du Diable", which is in fact a reissuing of their two demos "Scarification of Soul" (1998) and "Death to Macrocosm" (1999). The material feels like it's older and thus a bit more conservative, but quality-wise, they were a good omen of what "Urfaust" was to become.

S.V.E.S.T. - Coagula - L'Ether du Diable

svestcoagulaletherdudiablehw2.jpg

Released: 2005
Label: End All Life Productions
Nationality: France

Tracklist
01. The Black Art
02. Reminiscence of an Ancient Prophecy
03. The A-Wolf Anger
04. Death to Macrocosm
05. The Evil War

I'm sure I'd like this a lot more if I could hear what was going on a bit more clearly. Just lately, I'm starting to agree more and more with Chris Sessions over at Metal Review about how annoying uber-lo-fi productions for black metal records are. Let your material stand up by itself, rather than recording it on a four-track to add some underground scene points.

Some random guy in a Dillinger Escape Plan shirt came up to me in my Mayhem shirt and started talking to me about this band last year, but I never looked into them.