Recommendation: Turbo - Last Warrior

skeptik

Feb 7, 2003
Thrash Metal from Poland? Who knew? Turbo started out in 1980 as a traditional Heavy Metal band, but by their third album, they moved on to the Speed/Thrash direction, and their following recording, Last Warrior, is one of my personal favorite Thrash albums. This frantic, schizophrenic recording is a bewildering experience to listen to, from Grzegorz Kupczyk’s psycho ward-like shrieks to band leader Wojciech Hoffmann’s frenetic, disorienting guitar playing. Released in 1988 by Noise, this band seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, unfortunately. This record in particular really stands out in the band’s discography as an important release due to its wild, out of control feel, yet the way that the band reels it all in in the end makes this, in my eyes, something really special to listen to. The first two tracks, The Last Warrior and Berud’s Sword, belong in my top 25 greatest Thrash Metal songs of all time. Energetic would be an understatement. I haven’t heard much that sounds as disjointed in a good way in the realm of Thrash Metal. If you like raw, extreme 80s Thrash Metal, you should like this.

Last Warrior (1988)

WARRIOR.jpg

1. The Last Warrior
2. Berud's Sword
3. The Trojan Horse (Instrumental)
4. Seance With Vampire
5. Tempest's Son
6. Goddess Of Confusion
7. Angel From Hell

Bonus mp3: Everyone off of 1990’s Dead End

Hey, I asked everyone what I should use and nobody fucking answered. The only two uploading programs I know are rapidshare and yousendit, and the latter requires that you have an account, doesn't it?

Okay, does everyone want me to reupload these songs using yousendit then? Maybe I'll put up some more tracks from Dead End too.

'Angel From Hell''s intro is frighteningly insane. Other than that, all I've got to say is - best recommendation so far. Fast-as-fuck thrash always goes down well at Casa Del Dill, especially if there's a slight chance that the people performing it aren't entirely compos mentis.

Really top notch thrash. I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for thrash these days, so I'm going to file this under "revisit in the summer months" category.

By the way, did anyone else notice the bass, particularly on "Berud's Sword"? Cool stuff indeed.

I'm not a huge thrash fan, but I have to admit that "Berud's Sword" kicks hard! The epic intro and the melodic licks add some really nice contrast to the more hellbangin' parts.

The vocals are extremely hard to get used to (an odd harsh regular style followed by falsettos), but man, this is some OUTSTANDING thrash-a-riffic music. Once I get used to the vocals, I could see myself loving this.

Worthy of more listens for sure. Thumbs up.