Recommendation: VOIVOD

Get the remastered multidisc War and Pain. It is excellent.

I have all the CDs listed above, except s/t.

Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are the best thrash albums of the bunch. Nothing Face is the true classic, I think, though. Outer Limits is great fun. Angel Rat is kind of weird, but I still like it. It was actually the first Voivod I heard.

this is the truth,
a lot of the crust punk type bands took a lot from them
a big influence on kreator too

nate, maybe you should give the outer limits more time
angel rat through me off when it came out, so it took me a while to get round to t.o.l.
but now I think it 'could' be thier greatest work, though I think nothing face probably is the best album, the epic Jack Luminus could be thier greatest song

and lurch why since you covered so much did you leave out the eric forest albums?
I think they are as worthy as the album with newsted especially phobos

the s/t I thought was a bit patchy, some of the songs are too straight and simple and are a it throwaway, but the likes of the multiverse is classic stuff
there was a six track demo made before the album and it was pretty insane stuff, it included the multiverse and some other tracks of its ilk, it was more intense than the album....

r.i.p. piggy

like I said in the writeup, I always thought Snake is an essential element of Voivod, and while Eric Forest era stuff was good, to me it just did not work.

I didn't mean that Angel Rat and Outer Limits weren't worth getting. In fact, I think a bunch of the prog fans around here would be most into those two of the whole bunch.

personally I enjoy Angel Rat and Outer Limits much more than Nothingface for example ... NAD in particular should really dig the bass playing on some of these discs.

speaking of videos, was the dvd they were working on released? was supposed to come out just about now

lurch70 said:
speaking of videos, was the dvd they were working on released? was supposed to come out just about now

its out now
just did a search there its on play.com
741674m.jpg

DVOD-1, the first DVD from Voivod, covers the original line-up period (1983-1991). Included are all the 80s videos, plus rare live and studio performances of classic Voivod songs. From the start, their goal was to sound completely unique and incorporate odd musical tempos and futuristic story lines into their songs. They influenced and inspired other thrash and metal bands with their one-of-a-kind styles of performing and writing.

Videos:

1. VOIVOD 1984
2. Ripping Headaches 1986
3. Ravenous Medicine 1987
4. Tribal Convictions 1988
5. Psychic Vacuum 1988
6. Astronomy Domine 1989

Live Footage:

1. Montreal Spectrum 10/20/86 - Blower
2. Montreal Spectrum 8/20/88 - Tribal Convictions, Ravenous Medicine
3. Montreal Musiqueplus 1989 - The Unknown Knows, Inner Combustion/Missing Sequences/Nothing Face
4. Montreal Backstreet 5/24/91 - Inner Combustion, Freedoom

personally I enjoy Angel Rat and Outer Limits much more than Nothingface for example ... NAD in particular should really dig the bass playing on some of these discs.

I am LOVING Outer Limits. This is the first time I'm really appreciating this band. I need to hunt this sucker down.

Where do I go after Outer Limits? Should I just go straight for the kill and check out Nothingface? From all the reviews I've read, it's almost unanimously regarded as their magnum opus.

Something about Voivod doesnt tickle my balls. I only own Nothingface, but wtf...they are just too out there for thrash. I dont think it mixes well. Maybe I just dont get it.

Admittedly, I havent given the CD much of a chance either. Maybe 3 listens tops.

I'm a big Killing Technology fan. Maybe because it was the first one I heard. Fucked w/ my head for a bit.

From what I gather, almost every release is different too. Each has its own identity so almost anyone can be a fan of ONE Voivod release and pretty much ignore the rest. Is that true?

From what I gather, almost every release is different too. Each has its own identity so almost anyone can be a fan of ONE Voivod release and pretty much ignore the rest. Is that true?

there is defientelly a unifying sound and theme ... but yeah, they are all quite different.

If you like Outer Limits, go for Angel Rat for something very similar.

Killing Technology is my fave ... and if you are looking for the raw thrash energy of the 80's ... you can't go wrong here. Some very memorable tracks.

One you will most likely never enjoy is Rrrroooaaarrr ...