Recommendations for buying on ebay?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting some expansion sound cards for a 10yr old keyboard, and my only option is to get them used through ebay, as the cards aren't sold anymore (haven't been for quite some time, actually).

I've really never used ebay to purchase things before, what kind of things should I look for about the seller(s)?

I'm considering a couple of sellers with the ''Top-rated seller'' notice on top of their usernames, 100% Positive feedback, and ebay buyer protection for the purchase.
Should I be looking for something else besides those things?

One of them is offering the cards in an 'unopened new factory sealed box' for almost twice the price of the other guy.

Could this be true? I find it hard to believe, since the cards were originally being sold around 2001-2003..

Then again, his 'reputation' (from what I'm seeing on the site) seems to back him up...

Thanks much for your opinions! :)

I've been buying on ebay for years without any issue. Even when there was an issue, it ended up being a non issue that was resolved merely by asking the seller to resolve it (missing part).

I would say it's safer for buyers than sellers honestly.

100% positive power sellers are definitely a safe bet.

Yeah its pretty much safe as anything if you are a buyer and you're using paypal. Seller will get screwed if theres even a whiff of a complaint because they pretty much always rule for the buyer in a matter of dispute.

Generally it's okay if the buyer has good ratings all around. eBay doesn't give a shit about sellers, though. If something goes wrong, they usually blame it on the seller.

I always ask questions to make sure everything is as described so you can use that against them if anything is messed up.

Thanks much guys, sounds reassuring!
I still find it hard to believe someone purchased some expansion cards and never opened the package for a whole 10 years, just to sell them now. But the seller seems to have really good rep, so maybe I would still get an item in mint condition, at least resealed or something.

"10yr old keyboard"

Stop teasing, what is it?

A Triton kb! The sounds are still synth-like, but I like the immediacy in the response/stock settings on them (as opposed to a lot of VSTis, where the attack seems rather weak for a crowded mix).

Nothing but positive here as well. Bought a variety of sporting goods items and music equipment over the years, all without any issues.