Recommended folkmetal

mevyhetal said:
Anyone heard of Yggdrasil (Swe)?

Yup, Magnus (the guitarplayer) sent me both their demos for reviewing... The music is very good, but the growling is amongst the weakest I've heard in a long time. I can't help but feel that Yggdrasil will do well in the future. Their song "Gryningstid" is absolutley incredible!

its a pity that most of the folkmetalbands have a bad singer, what the fuck has screaming/grunting with folk to do? For me its just lack of singing capicity, in most of the cases they just take a friend or familymember that suddenly has to be the vocalist, what the fuck is the meaning about that, just search for someone that really can sing! And yes, its not forbidden to make the combination folk and death/black metal, but for me personally its stupid. Or what i find very boring too, is that most of these bands play black metal with once in a while a folkmelody, and some of them have lyrics about vikings, so they are automatically categorised as folkmetalband. True folkmetal is based on real folkmusic and its played in heavy metal style. Its not that i hate those bands, i mean its good that they not play shitty house or whatsoever, but whats bothering me is that the real good bands get less attention than these less-quality 13 in a dozen bands. Let me give an example of bands that play(ed), in my opinion, real folkmetal: Otyg, Storm, Lumsk, Heidevolk, Fejd (not metal, but fucking folk as hell :D), Glittertind, Cruachan, Garmenhord, Tyr, Korpiklaani, and of course (i am not arrogant, just say what others say, and its not forbidden to say something about your own music if it is objektive) Grimm.

Heol Telwen is pretty good Celtic black metal, as for acoustic folk Carved In Stone is also very pleasing.
btw this band is really fantastic folk music though in a modern appearance

Draugen said:
I just found a band browsing around the internet today...
A "new" swedish band called Fejd with members from Pathos & Nostradameus. I'd like to say that they're a sweet mix between Garmarna & Otyg. Perhaps a bit more folkmusic than metal, but I doubt those who enjoy Otyg wont like them...
Check out http://www.fejd.se

There is a new song of them available. Seems that they are recording an album right now.
That new song "Bergakungen" is damn awesome! It reminds me a bit of arabic music mixed with "Herr Mannelig". Zou have to listen to it! :headbang:

What about old norwegian band 'Folque' ?

It's one of my favorites nowadays.

But I'm having problems getting the lyrics.... most of them are based on traditional poetry.... nothing posted on the official page... *dissapointed*