Recommended Recordings of Classical Music

derbeder

in a vicious circle
Jan 22, 2006
lost
Please make some recommendations of good recordings that you have or have listened to. It's best to discuss specific features of a recording that sets it apart from other ones if the composition is a very famous one. People here occasionally list some composers that they like but without saying which works and which recordings of these works that they particularly enjoy. Hopefully we can have a little more detailed discussion in this thread.

My recommendation for today is:
(Nigel) Kennedy (violin) and Lynn Harrell's (cello) recording "Duos for Violin and Cello" (EMI, 2000).

This album includes Maurice Ravel's Sonata for Violin and Cello, Zoltan Kodaly's Duo for Violin and Cello along with two short transcriptions of baroque works, Handel's Passacaglia from Keyboard Suite no.7 and J.S. Bach's Two-Part Invention No.6 In E. These two transcriptions calm one down after the fiery last movements of the works of Ravel and Kodaly. That is a unconventional and brilliant idea indeed. I have seen Kennedy and Harrell perform these pieces in Haghia Irene church in Istanbul shortly after the album was released, and it was a marvelous occasion. The performance here is almost as remarkable as their performance on the concert and the sound quality is very clear as well. The Kodaly duo is especially noteworthy in its rich use of Hungarian folk melodies. The Ravel sonata is more restrained than, say Tzigane or even the Sonatas for Violin and Piano, but comes across as a rather emotional piece nevertheless. There aren't many recordings of these works available, and this is the only one I have heard, but I am very satisfied with it.

The Bartok string quartets are among the most important examples of their genre in the first half of the 20th century (I believe Schostakovich's truly important ones are after WWII). People who have not had an introduction to 20th century classical music may find an excellent introduction here. The Novak Quartet recording is from Phillips, I think and is probably cheaper. The performance is consistent but not very remarkable, whereas the Emerson Quartet's performances of the 5th and the 6th especially stand out. Emerson Quartet has actually won a Grammy award for the Bartok cycle for best classical album and a Grammophone award (they also did for the Schostakovich cycle, and this should be the next step for those who enjoy this album). The sound is also much better than the dry sound common to Phillips' double cd albums, and the independence of the instruments is maintained very well in the recording. It is DG, after all. I also have the Bartok cycle from Julliard Quartet on vinyl, but I tend not to prefer it over the Emerson recording.

Well I highly recommend "Nigel Kennedy's Greatest Hits" (sic!) (2 cd set). That was my first Nigel Kennedy cd and I've bought most of his releases since. Love to listen to the guy. Oh, and if you get the chance to see him live, it's definitely worth the money.

As for essential classical recordings in general: "Finlandia" by Jean Sibelius is one of them. The recording I have is from 1965 (Berliner Philharmoniker with Herbert von Karajan).

Unleashed actually used "Finlandia" as intro on their last tour...

Anything by the Savall family. You know right away that they could release Bah Bah Black Sheep and it will still kick ass because they're the Savall family.

I have almost nothing to contribute to this thread, but definitely would love recommendations, so keep these coming if you can fellas.

Only versions of note I know well is Kazuhito Yamashita's work, esp. his Dvorak New World Symphony. Everything transcribed to a single nylon guitar. Unreal.

Mussorgsky - Eine Nacht auf dem kahlen Berge (sorry, only know the German title)
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition (actually I prefer the version with full orchestra to the piano version)

sister ophelia said:
Mussorgsky - Eine Nacht auf dem kahlen Berge (sorry, only know the German title)
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition (actually I prefer the version with full orchestra to the piano version)
The first piece would be A Night on the Bare Mountain. Moussorgsky orchestrated the work himself, but the orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition is by Maurice Ravel. The original piano version of Pictures can be even more electrifying on some movements (esp. on Cum Mortius in Lingua Mortua) than the orchestral version. But I know more than a couple people who are much more attracted to Ravel's colorful orchestration of the work and don't enjoy the original. If you haven't heard the piano version from Alexis Weissenberg (came out from EMI, I believe), you might be missing out on how powerful the work can actually be. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it on CD anywhere. If you ever find it on vinyl or tape (would be for $1 or so), don't hesitate to get it. On CD, Evgeny Kissin's recording is excellent. I have yet to hear Mikhael Pletnev's famous recording of it.
A good recording of the orchestral version of Pictures would be Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philarmonic. Another one, which has a louder brass section, is Chicago Sympony Orchestra under Fritz Reiner.

hmmm the "Night on Bare/Bald/W/e Mountain" that is most often performed is actually the version Ravel re-arranged or "fixed" because Mussorgsky's instrumentation and arrangement was just a huge illogical mess.

2 pts 4 Ravel.

bravo on the Karajan suggestion, you can't go wrong with anythign he ever conducted.

Right, just dug out another of my "essential classics" cds, which includes "Carnival of the animals" by Camille Saint-Saens and "The young person's guide to the orchestra" by Benjamin Britten (Variations and fugue on a theme of Purcell). Don't judge the latter by it's title, it's actually one of the most beautiful and interesting pieces of classical music I've come across...the grand final with full orchestra sends shivers down my spine every time...

the_drip said:
hmmm the "Night on Bare/Bald/W/e Mountain" that is most often performed is actually the version Ravel re-arranged or "fixed" because Mussorgsky's instrumentation and arrangement was just a huge illogical mess.
I believe it is Rimsky-Korsakov's orchestration that is the one always performed. Ravel didn't orchestrate the work as far I know.

I haven't heard Moussorgsky' own orchestration of the Night... I think it's available on a Naxos cd. I will probably check it from the library at some point.

Never heard of an .ape file by the way. Weird name, too.

Mekong Delta did a prog-metal version of it. anybody ever hear that? I've heard the electronic music stuff...along with the Firebird Suite (Stravinsky).

Nope. After hearing Manowar play Flight of the Bumblebee, I don't think I could handle another metal band mess up a piece that Rimsky-Korsakov beautifully orchestrated. But who knows? Maybe it is not as bad. That was Manowar after all.

yeah manowar is pretty ghey.

got the original Mussorgsky scored Night on Bald Mountain to work...had to get this plug in from monkeyaudio.com its definately way more sporatic. And I can see why ppl prefer the Rimsky-K arrangement...its just...easier. The brass section plays their balls off in this one.

btw the recording is of "the Nation Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine" also has the choral version he wrote too...which I haven't gotten to listen to yet.