Recommended Recordings of Classical Music

Wow. You mentioned Bach without mentioning the six partitas or seven toccatas. If you or anyone else hasn't heard these, they are extremely good.

Yes, I have a few recordings of those as well. Glenn Gould's recording of the toccatas is the best of the ones I have heard, but I remember reading in the booklet for the CD that Gould himself apparently doesn't think as highly of these as Well-Tempered Clavier, Goldberg Variations, French Suites, English Suites etc.

metal_wrath said:
I have only heard a few recordings of Mozart's Requiem, but I especially like the Karl Bohm recording, if you haven't heard this recording I would recommend it, it is very grandiose but sombre, the orchestration is slow and the sound is amazing. I have found this online as a DVD with the performance by Karl Bohm and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. I am definitely going to buy this, http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=108984

I haven't heard Karl Böhm's recording of the Requiem. I will check it out.

NFU said:
Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G is nothing short of exquisite and utterly enjoyable.

It is my favorite of the Brandenburg Concertos :)

B000025ZXO.09.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

This time I will suggest a recording of music from 12th century France. The composer is called Perotin. Very little is known about Perotin, though it is commonly thought that he was at the Notre Dame cathedral. Along with other anonymous composers of church music in Paris around that time, he composed the first known polyphonic music. The style is called organum, and the compositions are for 2, 3 or 4 male voices. The music on this recording is therefore of major historial importance, as it documents a most crucial event in western music history. Earlier music, including Gregorian chants, had been monophonic. The music itself is not very deeply emotional compared to later liturgical music, but it is well worth listening.
The Hilliard Ensemble is very reliable in their performances of early music and they do not disappoint here either.
People who enjoy contemporary composers like Steve Reich and Arvo Part may also enjoy this recording.

Very interestng story there, and the music is pretty nice as well!

Lately I have been listening to this recording:

B000005EDJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I must say, this is an amazing recording. This includes Pachelbel's Canon & Gigue in D Major, and also his Suites for keyboard, which are both incredible. I don't think I will hear a recording of Pachelbel's Canon as amazing as this one. Also I have never heard of Fasch, but I loved both the Concerto for 2 Trumpets and the Symphonies for Orchestra which are included on this CD