Recommended VST Plugins for Making Metal?

Juzzy Dee

New Metal Member
Nov 12, 2015
I've been wanting to make metal, or at least incorporate elements into my music. I have been producing music for a few years, but wanting to do something different with what I make. What plugins would everyone suggest? Mainly looking for instrument plugins for guitars, also maybe some effect plugins like amps. Thanks

instrument plugins like virtual guitars? Shreddage sounds pretty awesome for that. As far as amp plugins go Bias is great as well as TSE X50v2 and Thermionik. If you are looking for something that has a variety of amps and also a bunch of effects all in one package then I would recommend Bias FX or Amplitube. For drums EZ drummer 2 would be great for you along with the Metal Machine add on pack for it. Right now they are having a sale which gives you a free add on pack with the purchase of EZ Drummer 2.

Guitar amp sim:
Free: Lepou, Nick Crow, Ignite amps, TSE, Guitar Rig Free.
Paid: TSE x50v2, Recabinet 4, BIAS (those are in top of my list) ; Overloud TH2, Amplitube, Guitar rig, JST Menace/ Ben Bruce.
Drums:
Free: Samples on this forum, MT Powerdrum 2
Paid: EZdrummer/ Superior drummer, Addictive drums, Steven Slate.
Mixing effects:
Free: Variety of Sounds, Modern Plugins, ReaPlugins.
Paid: Fab Filters, google.

Guitar amp sim:
Free: Lepou, Nick Crow, Ignite amps, TSE, Guitar Rig Free.
Paid: TSE x50v2, Recabinet 4, BIAS (those are in top of my list) ; Overloud TH2, Amplitube, Guitar rig, JST Menace/ Ben Bruce.
Drums:
Free: Samples on this forum, MT Powerdrum 2
Paid: EZdrummer/ Superior drummer, Addictive drums, Steven Slate.
Mixing effects:
Free: Variety of Sounds, Modern Plugins, ReaPlugins.
Paid: Fab Filters, google.

what is your opinion on JST Menace? Is it worth buying? It sounds pretty similar to Pod Farm IMO but then again I haven't personally tried it. Bias seems really cool. I demo'd it and it's really good. Especially for really low tuned guitars.

I don't own any JST amp sims (yet). If you want pretty much one trick pony - Sturgis core with simply dropping plugin on go for it. It's supposed to be mix ready with minor or no tweaks needed. Joey made his name using L6 sims and made his own based on it and improved it a bit.

If your looking for a guitar VSTi solely to create and get your ideas out of your head and on paper so to speak, real-eight is probably your best bet though incredibly fake. In terms of amps Lepou is great, TSE is better, even their freeware. Lepou is supposed top be releasing updated ampsims sometime soon so keep your eyes open. JST amps honestly are not worth it but that's just my opinion. There's way to many good free VST's like Lepou, TSE or ignite to spend over 50 dollars on a one trick pony.

when it comes to simulating guitar related instruments i can't think of anything better than the AmpleSound stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: