Recording 2x12

Never sat right in a mix. The high mids were in a really awkward area and id just end up processing the living hell out of it to just settle for it....which I didn't end up doing. Used my Marshall 4x12 and it just sounded that much more "filling"...the 2x12 had a very narrow sound to it. It's hard to explain but I was pretty dissapointed :(

4x12 usually sounds a lot more open sounding than 2x12 - it just breath more IMO. Not that one can't make a 2x12 sound great, it just has THIS difference.

Never sat right in a mix. The high mids were in a really awkward area and id just end up processing the living hell out of it to just settle for it....which I didn't end up doing. Used my Marshall 4x12 and it just sounded that much more "filling"...the 2x12 had a very narrow sound to it. It's hard to explain but I was pretty dissapointed :(

Now you got me thinking I should sell my Recto 2x12 and get a 4x12.

I actually thinkk I'd like the recto 2x12 more than my recto 4x12. I think the slightly tighter response/slightly more narrow frequency range of the 2x12 would be a GOOD thing for the kind of tones I like. I still need to get around to trying out a recto 2x12 though...

Have a look at http://www.zillacabs.com Ermz. They have a few different 2x12 models including oversized ones and they also offer custom sized cabs. Regardless of which you choose you can specify the design and the speakers yourself. Also you can add the option of a three piece back panel configuration so you can change them from being a closed back cab to an open back cab pretty easily.

I was just thinking of mentioning zilla, the fatboy sounds awesome.

not so nice sounding. My boss, a lawyer, read some books and built the room. A lot of external leakage and muddy frequencies happening. Have to scoop a good deal of low mids on most things to make it sound OK.

Sorry to hijack the thread Ermz, but jangoux you captured my attention because i have been planning the build of a booth (2X4 to 4X4 meters from the inside) for home recording of cabs mainly and my main concern has been the risk of me throwing all that money out the window because of the dimensions restriction.. So would you say that mainly these problems occurred because of the dimensions or bad treatment etc? (i contacted an acoustician for help a month or so ago and waiting till he is free to plan it for me)

IOW i understand more or else the physics behind why a small room isnt the best choice but i am wondering how much this can be corrected with treatment to assess if this is all a waste of money..

That room has no treatment at all. Like I said, my boss is a lawyer, understands shit about acoustics/recording/music (besides listening), bought some books, pilled up some random ideas and built the room. The ceiling is very low (2.5 meters on some places - it is wave-shaped, God knows why...), the room sounds dark AND thin on some places. I dont know how to explain but some places are just muddy and thin and weird so stuff sound like shit and things dont fit easily on the mix...anyway, I think that with a good deal of treatment, this room could turn to a winner but atm it is just a mess - even some clients notice it. Now don't get me started on the control room lol The CR has so much acoustic problems that a lot of times I just dont hear out of of phase stuff. Then I come home, flip the phase and voilá! I hear everything. To make it short: treat your room and it will be OK lol

have any of you guys played a genz benz g flex 2x12? I have one and I like the sound a lot but have no other cabs to compare. Seems like a good cab especially for low tunings and 8 strings.

yeah the ported one. Seems like a cool idea for low tunings. It really gives me a lot of tight, punchy bass. I don't have any other cabs to compare it too though.

i have an avatar 2x12 with V30's...on one of the big fuckers that's supposedly very similar to the oversized bogner cabs

long story short...don't get one of these. cab sounds ok, but not to a mic!

That room has no treatment at all. Like I said, my boss is a lawyer, understands shit about acoustics/recording/music (besides listening), bought some books, pilled up some random ideas and built the room. The ceiling is very low (2.5 meters on some places - it is wave-shaped, God knows why...), the room sounds dark AND thin on some places. I dont know how to explain but some places are just muddy and thin and weird so stuff sound like shit and things dont fit easily on the mix...anyway, I think that with a good deal of treatment, this room could turn to a winner but atm it is just a mess - even some clients notice it. Now don't get me started on the control room lol The CR has so much acoustic problems that a lot of times I just dont hear out of of phase stuff. Then I come home, flip the phase and voilá! I hear everything. To make it short: treat your room and it will be OK lol

Thanks a lot for the info man!!!

Has anybody tried recording the EVH 5150 2x12 cab?

I am looking to buy a 2x12 for the same purpose and right now I have my sights set on 3 alternatives: Rectifier 2x12, Roadster 2x12 (why is this not on Thomann anymore?) or the EVH 5150III 2x12.

The EVH looks pretty nice on paper - it's oversized as well and not so far from the Mesa Recto sizing:

(EVH 2x12 specs):
Two 12” Celestion® G12H 30W Anniversary Speakers
Output Impedance: 16 Ohms
Cabinet Material: Birch Plywood
Length: 14" (35.5 cm)
Width: 30.1" (76.5 cm)
Height: 17.5" (43.2 cm); With Casters: 20" (50.8 cm)
Weight: 60 lbs. (27.22 kg)

(Mesa Recto 2x12 specs):
*DIMENSIONS:
44.45cm H
76.52cm W
36.20cm D
*WEIGHT:
27.67 kg

The price difference in Europe is almost double!! :yuk:

Yeah exactly, it was no slouch at all but it didn't "fill" the mix (in the way I like at least)...I really need the OS...it's just THE cab for me but I can't get my hands on one! :(

Need more opinions between mesa 2x12 vs orange 212 ppc!
pop-PPC212C_01.jpg

2x12H-RectoF-LG.jpg