Recording acoustic/vocals for folky stuff

Potshot

Aug 26, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
Hey all, searched acoustic but found nothing other than acoustically treating rooms. I'm recording an EP for an irish folk type guy starting this week and I only have 2x SM57 and an SM58, was thinking about getting a ribbon or condenser and need some advice on this.

Products in my area that suit my budget and appear to suit what I'm after:

- Studio Projects C1
- Audio Technica AT2041, which is the 2 mic pack
- Rode NT5

Anyone have any experience with these or have any other recommendations?

He was fairly satisfied with the result I got for him just pointing 1 SM57 at the acoustic and taking the output from his pickup with minimal processing, but I'd like a warmer tone.

Tested a few, ended up going with the AT2020 by itself, as nobody had the pack with the 2021 as well. Pretty decent mic for the price I paid, (AUD$161). Currently trying it on my 6505 through a v30 cab with a 57, liking the blend a lot actually but still searching for a sweet spot for the positioning.

Tested a few, ended up going with the AT2020 by itself, as nobody had the pack with the 2021 as well. Pretty decent mic for the price I paid, (AUD$161). Currently trying it on my 6505 through a v30 cab with a 57, liking the blend a lot actually but still searching for a sweet spot for the positioning.

Could you maybe post a little review once you've recorded some acoustic with it? I'm looking at getting a cheap condenser for the same reason, thanks :)

I'd recommend picking up a couple Naiant Omni's. They sound great on Acoustic and will probably give you a bit nicer tone than the 57. Plus they're cheap.