Recording at 37 Studios, Detroit produced by J.Sturgis

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hi guys, I am attending to the recording of Against the Waves´new album produced by J.Sturgis.
tmf_usa_5.jpg

I´ve made a blog so you can follow my steps but I´d like to provide you with more technical info if any of are interested. I´ve gathered pics & videos so let me know if you are interested in me developing this post. :kickass:
By now let me post the blog links:
Blog Diary Intro: Intro here
Blog Dairy: read here
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the complete lack of Sturgis in the videos I'm assuming he's taken the Rick Rubin style of producing to heart :lol:

May be some of you are interested in more production wise things?
To begin with I can say we´re tracking 44/24bits over cubase 6.5. Man you have to see these ninja engineers!
Direct inputs for guitar & bass, new strings every two songs, countryman 85 --> interface input

May be some of you are interested in more production wise things?
To begin with I can say we´re tracking 44/24bits over cubase 6.5. Man you have to see these ninja engineers!
Direct inputs for guitar & bass, new strings every two songs, countryman 85 --> interface input

What exactly is the point? Production was supposed to be handled by Joey so that was the point of this discussion and queries? If he wasn't even there who cares?

No judging, but yeah... He could at least have chitchat in person, make sure his team-mates are heading in the right direction rather than applying a magic recipe, show you he cares about your music, the normal stuff a producer would do...

I know I'd be pissed.

No judging, but yeah... He could at least have chitchat in person, make sure his team-mates are heading in the right direction rather than applying a magic recipe, show you he cares about your music, the normal stuff a producer would do...

I know I'd be pissed.

I know from a secure source that his POD tact preset has been lost somehow in a session, so he is taking care of what can be called a international disaster for all Djent, crabcore, deathcore "basically everything that ends with the core word" bands who need his pod feeling. So, whatch out your words sir!lol

Yep, the band & me were super excited to meet him personally, but we´re leaving in 3 days and he just didn´t show up :erk:

I keep staring at this post. Dude, it is unbelievable. This whole thread. What a cocksmoker!! lol

Sturgis obviously has a great ear and his productions sound good, and it's really amazing what he's accomplished. But since day 1 there was always something about his posts that rubbed me wrong. It doesn't really surprise me that he's rubinized himself. Part of me is jealous and part of me is happy for the guy. But I would have never rubinized folks like this. Some people forget their roots, I guess.

This thread is priceless.

Yeah this is pretty much how Joey operates now, he has engineers handling his recording and editing, he does pre-pro for some bands and he handles the mixing as far as I know.

Yeah this is pretty much how Joey operates now, he has engineers handling his recording and editing, he does pre-pro for some bands and he handles the mixing as far as I know.

I think that's a fine system and that was all the explanation anyone needed. I suppose it's sort of like getting a Hans Zimmer score. You aren't getting produced by Joey Sturgis so much you're getting a Joey Sturgis® Production. If everyone is aware of the arrangement and happy with it then more power to him.