Recording bass: Spector Euro 5LX vs EB Musicman Bongo 5

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Looking to get a nice bass for recording and have pretty much narrowed it down to trying to pick up one of these used.... just looking for some opinions either way..... both seem to sound great, but I'm leaning a little towards the Spector right now because it has a 16" radius, which is much flatter than the 11" radius on the Bongo... and flatter tends to be better for me in guitar world haha

what do you guys think? any pros/cons of the two?

I always always wanted a Bongo... I tried it out here in a local store and I feel in love with it... If you like the musicman's touch you'll love it... I personally love it, but don't have the cash to buy it... On the other hand I always wanted to try that exactly Spector as well, but there aren't any available around here :\

After many years on a beautiful sounding Fender Jazz that probably had more to do with me getting work than my playing, I switched to a Spector Euro 4 LX and it's the best recording bass I've owned. Much less tweaking required in the mix and even a plain DI tone will do the job in a lot of contexts. Add a grinding amp tone and it's sheer heaven.

Not a MM fan myself aside from the 2xHB Sterlings.

I have a Spector 4LX-35 and a MM Stingray. I have recorded with both, and i prefer the Spector WAY over the MM. Spector basses are the greatest basses IMO. To me they are very versatile as well.

How do the cheaper Spectors with the EMG HZs sound? I've seen Dan Briggs of Between The Buried and Me playing one... the Spector Legend 5 custom, I believe.

Gahh, the Bongo is the second ugliest bass I've EVER seen (behind only Parker basses), so that'd be an instant deal-breaker for me, there's bound to be other good-sounding ones out there that don't look so godawful! "Bongo" is a perfect name, I suppose :Smug: