RECORDING GUITAR IN SMALL ROOMS

Nostalia

May 22, 2007
Since I live in a townhome in the city, I have a hard time recording guitar since I can't pump the volume up really high. I built a 4'x4' isolation booth for vocals, and I have been using this for isolating the cab too, but I have noticed the it can make the cab sound really boomy and hollow. The mid range lacks and what comes through clearly is a lot of harsh mid range. And it sounds like I am getting a lot of reflecting mid range making it sound like a bit of slap echo is in there. I was wondering if filling the room up with blankets if this would help, or would it make the high end and mid range disappear?

Here's my chain I am using:

Ibanez JEM 77FP - Dimarzio PAF PRO
ENGL Invader
Ecila Oversized 2x12 w/Vintage 30's (British)
SM 57
Focusrite Liquid (I am using the Crane Song Setting w/ the Distressor)
Apogee Rosetta 96k (old 2 channel AD)
002 SPIDF
Pro Tools LE

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's not to record an amp in a small room/closet! Blankets will definitley muddy things up.

-0z-

I have a 5x5 vocal booth that is auralexed dead and I use this with a boogie 4x12 and two 57's and it sounds deadly. I have had to start flipping the 57 phase switch on one of the mic's which I did not have to do in the old big room I used to use but it still sounds awesome. try treating the room with some auralex instead of blankets. this should help a bit.

Love Curran