Recording guitar - strings ringing out

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I've run into an issue with my Schecter C-7 Hellraiser where when I do palm mutes on the E and B strings it seems that the G B and E strings ring out (the 3 highest). It's not really an issue I had with my Jackson, so I'm led to thinking that this is an issue confined to string-thru guitars.

Is there any way to stop this annoying ringing? It really destroys the tightness of rhythm playing.

Before playing technique gets mentioned.. I'm quite aware of what I do when I play and I've actively tried to stop this ringing, but it's almost impossible and as said it's not an issue I had with my previous guitar.

it IS because of playing technique. the 7 string has a wider fretboard than the 6 string, and therefore muting the high strings is a tad more difficult.
practice, you'll get used to it.

No offense, but I don't see how this could be attributed to anything besides playing technique. If you keep them muted, they won't ring out. Does this guitar have a different style bridge than you are used to? That could be what is throwing you off as well, but that would still be an issue of technique. You've just got to adapt.

It's NOT always playing technique. With string through body bridges the strings *behind* the bridge can ring out. Place a peace of foam between the body and the bridge and it will tighten up the sound. I have also had problems with the strings ringing behind the nut as well. This is why Christian from Fear Factory has a piece of foam under the strings behind the nut.

Also, somewhat related, when recording solos, and what not, a piece of fabric (a sock!) or a hair tie placed around the next around the first fret can cut down on strign noise.

If the strings are ringing out due to vibrations behind the bridge, they'd be atonal and really high pitched, almost like spring vibration on Floyd equipped guitars. If they sound like the G, B and e strings at pitch, then I'd say it's technique. some foam behind the bridge or over the trem springs if you have a Floyd helps, as others have said.

I think it'd be natural to assume that it's technique due to being a completely different guitar than your old one (6 vs. 7 string).

nwright said:
If the strings are ringing out due to vibrations behind the bridge, they'd be atonal and really high pitched, almost like spring vibration on Floyd equipped guitars....

Nope.

I own 7 string guitars with the strings through the body, the ringing is the same pitch. I can't explain *why* it is, but it is. A little piece of foam solved the problem.

I have never noticed the problem in a live setting, but in the studio, it's quite annoying.

However, like nwright said, if the foam doesn't help, it's your technique.

Matt Crooks said:
Nope.

I own 7 string guitars with the strings through the body, the ringing is the same pitch. I can't explain *why* it is, but it is. A little piece of foam solved the problem.

I have never noticed the problem in a live setting, but in the studio, it's quite annoying.

However, like nwright said, if the foam doesn't help, it's your technique.

Maybe I just never noticed it then. I guess I was thinking about when I actually pluck those strings behind the bridge. :D

I had problems with the springs, that is holding down the tremolo, they just ringed out everytime I muted the strings. So I taped them, its getting better but not completely. Anyone else got this problem?

Having owned that guitar, and many other 7's I know what you mean.
Foam in between the body and bridge, tape on the high strings and foam/bit of tape under and over the strings behind the nut. For recording that should do the trick.