Recording guitar

Exerath

New Metal Member
Aug 23, 2004
I record my guitar tracks using audacity. The problem I have is I cannot get my recording to sound like it does on actual albums by artists. I am usuing a zoom 505II, and I should be able to configure it to sound great, But I just can't seem to do it, any recommendations?

Get rid of the Zoom. It is just never going to sound the same, basically you are trying to use an effects pedal to make it sound like a cranked valve amp, which isn't going to happen. POD or the like may be a better bet, but stil nothing really ever beats the real thing.

what you hear on a pro record is a reflection of the art of studio work.

First off, there are multiple guitar tracks. There might be just say, two guitars-rhythm and lead-but the rhythm track is most likely multiple tracks in layers to beef up the sound.
for ex-the rhythm track you hear might be a low-endy guitar tone mixed with a mid-y guitar tone and a more highs based guitar tone. Apart they are thin, but mixed carefully, they sound fat and crushing.
Or it simply might be the track tripled.

Also, Compression and other recording effects are present. There are all sorts of special EQs, etc to give tracks certin sounds, and you have to know how to use them..it's a art form.

Also, are you using studio moniters? They have a flat EQ curve-all other types of speakers "color" the sound, so what you are hearing will sound good on your system, but on anyone else's, it sounds like crap.

I suggest you get a few book on recording and read up. Luckily these days, recording stuff is going down in cost, and those books can show you tricks to do it as cheaply as possible while getting good sound.

Exerath said:
I record my guitar tracks using audacity. The problem I have is I cannot get my recording to sound like it does on actual albums by artists. I am usuing a zoom 505II, and I should be able to configure it to sound great, But I just can't seem to do it, any recommendations?
I used to have a Zoom 1010. I had the same problem. That effects processor sounded very tinny and overprocessed, almost a "fake" sound. I switched to using a Zoom 9002 Pro to record with (which sounds MUCH better), and I sometimes use my Digitech GNX3.
You will just have to upgrade to a better sounding unit. The 505 probably wont give you the professional sound you are talking about.

I have a Zoom 505II, too. It does not sound really good but not overprocessed as you said. Try turning down the volume. Record very quiet to get a better sound. But that in fact isn't the non plus ultra.
IMO 505II is just bad for recordings stuff.

Exerath said:

Digital effects have come a long way, but they still don't sound like an overdriven tube amp and a meaty 4X12 cabinet. different things you can do is to upgrade to better effects, overdub your guitar using more than one tone with the effects you have or if you have a tube amp (or even a SS amp for certain tones) you can build a temporary recording box and mic the amp as opposed to playing straight through the effects.

Bryant

TekChef said:
what you hear on a pro record is a reflection of the art of studio work.

First off, there are multiple guitar tracks. There might be just say, two guitars-rhythm and lead-but the rhythm track is most likely multiple tracks in layers to beef up the sound.
for ex-the rhythm track you hear might be a low-endy guitar tone mixed with a mid-y guitar tone and a more highs based guitar tone. Apart they are thin, but mixed carefully, they sound fat and crushing.
Or it simply might be the track tripled.

Also, Compression and other recording effects are present. There are all sorts of special EQs, etc to give tracks certin sounds, and you have to know how to use them..it's a art form.

Also, are you using studio moniters? They have a flat EQ curve-all other types of speakers "color" the sound, so what you are hearing will sound good on your system, but on anyone else's, it sounds like crap.

I suggest you get a few book on recording and read up. Luckily these days, recording stuff is going down in cost, and those books can show you tricks to do it as cheaply as possible while getting good sound.
Strangely enough you can still get a crushingly good guitar sound without layering, just one left and one right if the amp sound is good enough :) Compression is a bit of a must, and some tweaking on the eq, but if you've got a great guitar sound that is nice and full and two different amps, then anything you do after is just going to make it sound better.

BUY yourself Behringer Direct Guitar box with AMP 4x12 analogue simulator, and gain your software with native instruments GUITAR RIG : that's all that you're need for a perfect sound!!!
The other way is to buy yourself good one guitar combo - marshall, roland, bahringer, peavey and to use condenser microphone...
Wish u luck