Recording Hardware for PC

sonofhendrix13

some loser
Jul 1, 2004
Gloucester, MA
Im looking at buying a recording system for my computer. I know that they can get really expensive but im looking for some really cheap hardware (in the $200-$300 range) that i can just fuck around with. Im not a pro guitarist at all and im not looking to record a cd or anything so the quality doesnt matter.

Ive been looking at theses systems:

Cubase System 4
Tascam US-122
M-Audio Omnistudio
Lexicon Omega

Do u have any recommendations?

it depends what kind of soundcard you have, and what method of recording you want to use.

personally, i use microphone recording because i feel some of the sound is lost in a direct connection.

however, direct boxes have an advantage of eliminating pops and hum that can come from a microphone recording. i use my mic to capture sound from my amp's cabinet when i play, and my mic is connected to the back "line in" of my SB Audigy 2Z soundcard. this is run into Cubase SX 1.0, and i use Cubase to mix/master/edit my tracks and create my songs. i also use Cubase to program drums/bass since i don't have those instruments.

so for me the only cost was a mic (Shure SM57 $99US)
and Cubase SX: (retails at $580US but i paid much less)

of course this assumes you have a reasonably fast computer with a decent soundcard. an unmixed multitrack song can take up to a GIG of drive space before you mix it to wav/mp3 or whatever. if you have many layered tracks, it can go far higher than a Gig.

an alternative to using a mic is to buy a direct box (around $150) and record straight into your computer's soundcard by plugging Guitar > DirectB > soundcard.
you wont hear anything but the sound from the pickups, which is to say it will be very clear recording, but some tone may be lost (up to your ears).

no matter which method you use, you'll need a recording program, and if you want multiple tracks at once, you'll need a multi-track program like Cubase or Adobe Audition. i prefer Cubase.

that's all for computer recording. the other option is get a 4-track or 8-track machine that lets you record and mix tracks onto it, and save them to CD, DAT, or transfer to your computer. Boss, Roland, and other companies make some good ones.

How do you program drums and bass in Cubase ( I have SX) - can you write them in using musical notation or do you have to use a midi keyboard? Also do you have to buy the samples or something??

Cheers for any help.

no, as far as i know they come with it (came with my version)

you program it as midi using a drum map and the drum editor (or keyboard editor if you want)-- you don't need an external instrument, though some people like to tap it in instead of writing it out. most importantly, when saving your song you *must* set as output for that track to be a midi VST instrument, or it won't appear on your mix-down recording file. that's because if you leave it as soundcard-in and soundcard-out, it will run the midi tracks through your soundcard and play them back for you with your audio data, but won't actually PLAY it when you 'record' it (aka save/mixdown). this can be analogous to putting sheet music in front of a drum kit and waiting for it to play itself, without the tool to realize your midi tracks (and not just drums, this goes for all midi) they will not be included in your mix

ThanksThanks! I'm also thinking of upgrading my soundcard (my current one's a crappy 16bit thing) any ideas? I'll get a V-amp and i'll be recording DI probably.

I love my RME MultiFace setup but that's not for just puting down some demos at home =)
M-Audio has a few good cheep soundcards. A good basic PCI card with 2 analog i/o and two digital i/o is M-Audio Audiophile 2496. If you want an external USB soundcard check out the new M-Audio Fast Track USB, 2 analog i/o and phones out. I've though about getting one of those Fast Track USB cards as a alternative to my RME rig.

Ravenous Enemy said:
How do you program drums and bass in Cubase ( I have SX) - can you write them in using musical notation or do you have to use a midi keyboard? Also do you have to buy the samples or something??

Cheers for any help.

You can program drums manually in Cubase SX (I have it myself). You can plug in any Drum VST, open it in Cubase, and then open the drum editor and manually click the shots you want. You can also run a MIDI pad (like an AKAI 16 pad or something) and play them manually. Either way works great.

JB

yeah, and that works for not only drums, but any other instrument you have a VST plugin for. you'd just use the keyboard editor for other nonpercussive instruments.

i love Cubase... its power is evident when i play my CD of my 'band' for friends and when they ask who the other musicians are, i tell them to their shock that i played or programmed all of it.

Silent Song said:
i love Cubase... its power is evident when i play my CD of my 'band' for friends and when they ask who the other musicians are, i tell them to their shock that i played or programmed all of it.

100% agreement here...the learning curve is a little higher with Cubase SX than with other, simpler apps - but that's why I went with Cubase. I won't outgrow it, and now that I've become more comfortable with it I can do just about anything I want to...by myself. No getting stood up by bandmates, no egos attitudes or people showing up for rehearsal stoned or drunk...

You can't replace real players, but this is just about as close as you can get - and no aggravation...

JB

hey thanks for all your help etc, but maybe I'm really thick (or' you'll think I am in a second) : I can't get the drum thing to work. Ok - 1. I add a midi track 2. I set the output ports to the right things etc (I think) 3. I go to the drum editor, and it's in light grey so you can't click on it. 4. I fiddle around trying to get it to work, it doesn't work 5. I get really annoyed etc! and it just won't work! What should I do??
Thanks!.

hmmm i had that problem too.

i think i forgot to mention, with midi tracks if you are not using a midi controller (like a real midi device) you just gotta use the pencil tool to 'draw' an arbitrary area for your midi track to be recorded on. then you resize it to the length you want, and THEN try the editors. that should work.

For computer...

Hmmm If you want cheap then a POD XT and a copy of the Guitar Port Software (Free!) might help...Complimented with Cubase etc.

No upgrade needed as the POD is a seperate sound processor you just usb and play!

An even cheaper option is the guitar port but I always thought it was a little thin especially distortion wise....

Ravenous Enemy said:
hey thanks for all your help etc, but maybe I'm really thick (or' you'll think I am in a second) : I can't get the drum thing to work. Ok - 1. I add a midi track 2. I set the output ports to the right things etc (I think) 3. I go to the drum editor, and it's in light grey so you can't click on it. 4. I fiddle around trying to get it to work, it doesn't work 5. I get really annoyed etc! and it just won't work! What should I do??
Thanks!.

First select the pencil tool and click and drag to create an event on the track you want...then make sure that event is selected, and then open the drum editor - I had the same problem.

a cool trick i use with midi programmed tracks is to export just that track as a .wav, and re-insert it into my mix, over the original. i add some tweaks to the .wav, and it gives the programmed track a more realistic sound to it

I have tescam US-122 and its pretty handy if you have a good software. You get some cubase demo with it, but i am not completely satisfied.