Building your own PC for recording and mixing purposes only...

Jun 2, 2005
Hey hey!

Right.. when it comes to PC's and specs.. i am a ultra newbie... i understand the terms and i understand most of the basic stuff, and i do know the software, but in general i could really use some help with building or buying a new PC for recording/mixing jobs.

Well, i have a decent computer right now.. but i really HATE it when it comes to doing a full project like a TGM song.

Normally a recording/mixing session works, but once i start working with synths and/or vocals on top of the song, my computer really starts to show it's age... meaning it starts to clutter the DFHS drums, it starts to make popping sounds and crackling noises, in short.. it sucks.

Im just really looking for a beast of a machine for a reasonable price.. what would you guys suggest?

I defenitly thinking about getting a dual core processor, since that seems to be the main problem on my PC now... my motherboard only allows up to 2 GB RAM, so i need more there as well, seeing as how many VSTi's and plugins i use in a session.

I know, i know.. i could just bounce tracks between two project files, or even three.. but im really sick of that! i just need ONE song in ONE project file and be done with it allready.

Any suggestions out there? i can go up till about 1500/1600 euro.

I might even go mac, i just dont have the knowledge though.. a laptop, a PC, i dont care really.. it just needs to improve now.

Seems there's a lot of these topics lately... JBroll, you should just go to tigerdirect.com and build the best recording PC you can for under $1000 including cooling products, CD drives, case, etc. so that we can all just go and order all those parts and be done with it :lol:

DO NOT ORDER FROM TIGER DIRECT! I have had a problem with EVERY order from them! Don't trust those rebates either! They have good product descriptions with youtube vids, but once you know what you want go to NEW EGG:

http://www.newegg.com/

It's geting pretty easy to build a PC with a core2duo or quad core processor and 4 gigs of ram, and all the other junk for $600-800. This is my newest MOBO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142

Someone go to tigerdirect.ca and build me a computer! Newegg is a US company so I pay bullshit import charges, Tigerdirect.CA (the CA is important) is based like 40 minutes from where I live so I don't pay shit, haha...

I wanted to build something with a Q6600 processor, 2gb of RAM and a video card that supports dual displays, but aside from that I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. Don't know what power supply to get, what case, what cooling fan/liquid cooling/whatever, what hard drives, what DVD drive, what PCI Firewire card, blah blah blah. If someone has a spare 20 minutes and knows their shit, please put together a shopping cart for me so I can order a computer! :lol:

Here's my two cents.

Motherboard:
You'll have to decide on this one, just don't skimp on it. You may need quite a few PCI slots for your DSP, soundcard, firewire, whatever else your beast
cotains. You might want to consider SLI/crossfire if you want more than TWO monitors(Although there are other options for multiple monitors). Definitly go for one with RAID, preferably RAID-5 but RAID-1 would do. For Amd CPU socket AM2 or AM2+(Both sockets allow the same processors), Intel socket 775.

Processor:
AMD
----
AM2 DualCore 6400+
AMD's fastest dual core CPU.

Intel
----
Q6600
Fast, cool, Quad core and overclockable.

Sound Card:
Most likely difficult to find a motherboard without an integrated one these days, you'll have to disable it in the bios.

RAM:
4x 1G-800 A-Data.
or
4G Kit-1066 (2x2G) PQA for overclockability.

Hard Drive:
3x Seagate SATA 500G
Run these in RAID 5 for improved read speed, and no loss of data if one dies.

or

2x Western Digital SATA 400G
Run these in Raid 1 for improved read speed, and no loss of data if one dies.

and

you'll probably want another 80G hard drive or two for your operating system, so it's seperate from your recording projects.

Optical Drive (DVD):
Pioneer 20x SATA 215BK
Widely regarded as one of the best around.

Case:
Antec P182
External fan speed control for top and rear fans and cable organisers, and widely regarded as one of the best cases for silence. Otherwise you could get a cheaper case and sound proof it with some sticky back acoutic foam. Whatever case you get, always chuck out the psu it comes with, cause it's most likely shit.

Power Supply:
For a non-SLI/crossfire setup:
Corsair HX 620W

For a SLI/crossfire more power than you'll need setup:
Corsair TX-750W

Mouse: Logitech G5 for corded, G7 for wireless.

Monitor: 22” 5ms DVI WS Chimei 221D
While Chimei aren't "brand name" the contrast ratio and overall quality of the image are good. Purists may want to get something brand-name for piece of
mind, but this monitor is a really great price.

Graphics:
For you it's non-Gaming:
Any cheap 7xxx, 8xxx series nvidia card or any cheap 2xxx, 3xxx series ATi Card. SLi(nvidia) and crossfire(ati) = more monitors.

If anyone's that's interested in a gaming machine:
NVIDIA Lovers-
1GB 9800GX2 Inno 3D - A single 8800GT is faster than the Radeon 2900XT, is DirectX 10 compatible, and is cheap. This is essentially two 8800GTs in SLI.
Or you could SLI two 8800GT's for a bit less and supporting more than two monitors.
OR ATI Lovers-
1GB Asus 3870 x2 Dual GPU
- The 3870 is faster than the 2900 in some apps and over $60 cheaper.

Not really sure about the cost of this in the states but i think you'd be looking at maybe $1200-$1500 with one monitor. But it could be less.

Thanks for the reactions! usefull stuff in here... nice list there Spew, i'll check those items right now!

Kev.. receivedeth, PMeth backeth.

Hi folks!! I read here more I post... but If I can help!!

So if you live in canada... the best place to buy stuff is ncix.ca
I build computer for me and friends and we always order from ncix. Cool price, very good service, and when needed the rma services is just perfect!

My last config is a quad core with an intel board with de P35 chipset and corsair XMS2 memory... this comp is a thank. The gigabyte boards with the P35 chipset rock too!
Antec sonata III or P182 case if you want it quiet.
Even more quiet if you don't play game... you can get a video card without fan. I bought a gigabyte 8600gt with passive cooling and it's pretty good. and if you go with a quadcore... don't bother with other cpu fan... the stock fan is perfect!
Put WinXP on that and you'll be happy!

Jeb

Hi folks!! I read here more I post... but If I can help!!

So if you live in canada... the best place to buy stuff is ncix.ca
I build computer for me and friends and we always order from ncix. Cool price, very good service, and when needed the rma services is just perfect!

My last config is a quad core with an intel board with de P35 chipset and corsair XMS2 memory... this comp is a thank. The gigabyte boards with the P35 chipset rock too!
Antec sonata III or P182 case if you want it quiet.
Even more quiet if you don't play game... you can get a video card without fan. I bought a gigabyte 8600gt with passive cooling and it's pretty good. and if you go with a quadcore... don't bother with other cpu fan... the stock fan is perfect!
Put WinXP on that and you'll be happy!

Jeb

Cheers for the input Jeb!

Welcome to the forums btw.