Please Comment on My New PC

Seems a bit expensive overall to me - I'm building one in 2 weeks with an AMD 2.8Ghz cpu and 4 gigs of ram, and without the CD/DVD drives, which I have, it's only running me about 700.

Well, there are rebates and such that will make it drop more than $100.

Unfortunately I pretty much need all the little things, like DVD drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and it all adds up.

Seems a bit expensive overall to me - I'm building one in 2 weeks with an AMD 2.8Ghz cpu and 4 gigs of ram, and without the CD/DVD drives, which I have, it's only running me about 700.

Get a Dual processor if you can afford it... I'm still kind of struggling with 3ghz and 4gb of ram... it made it A LOT better doubling my ram, but the single processor is still messing with me...

just gave my (last remaining) pc to our bassplayer....
NO MORE PCs FOR ME! :)

sorry, didn't wanna start the debate.....
just couldn't resist...

(waiting for James to chime in)

theyll all in be in our our secret blissfull mc world then!
i'm pc free too!!

There's no good reason to pay that much for a bloody case... seriously.

Excellent choice on the RAM.

I wouldn't go for Core 2 Duo, as they're a bit overpriced, but since you're going for the outdated-and-being-discontinued 775 you'll get better deals if you ever need to upgrade... although the best upgrade you'll be getting will be 400mHz at best. Just for full disclosure, I love AMD to fucking death, and use their products whenever I can... and I got away with a motherboard and CPU for less than you're paying for the CPU. Same clock speed, both 64-bit dual-core, the only difference was that I went AMD and chose Crossfire instead of SLI.

Keyboard and mouse are a bit pricey, I got my keyboard and mouse for what you're paying for the keyboard.

If you plan on using XP or Vista 64, make certain - as in check no fewer than two different websites for confirmation, on top of the manufacturer's website - that your wireless card will be compatible with it, as most wireless cards don't have 64-bit drivers for Windows. If you're a badass and plan to use Linux, get the Belkin 7050, period, end of discussion.

For the video card... whatever floats your boat. That's pricey as hell, and overkill for most things, but have fun with it if that's what you're after.

Jeff

REALLY? a dual core built from scratch for $700? including a case?

hmm... mind sharing your parts list?

Picture1-1.png

Notebook drive is for my MacBook.

I'm not a Mac guy, but that's a whole separate issue. I built a better system than the macbook pro I was looking at last year, and spending almost $1k less. Plus this PC is upgradeable. Also, PCs seem to have less issues with my audio interface than Macs do. Plus, I don't seem to have the driver/virus/spyware problems most people complain about on PCs.

I don't mean to divert the topic to Mac vs PC though

There's no good reason to pay that much for a bloody case... seriously.

Excellent choice on the RAM.

I wouldn't go for Core 2 Duo, as they're a bit overpriced, but since you're going for the outdated-and-being-discontinued 775 you'll get better deals if you ever need to upgrade... although the best upgrade you'll be getting will be 400mHz at best. Just for full disclosure, I love AMD to fucking death, and use their products whenever I can... and I got away with a motherboard and CPU for less than you're paying for the CPU. Same clock speed, both 64-bit dual-core, the only difference was that I went AMD and chose Crossfire instead of SLI.

Keyboard and mouse are a bit pricey, I got my keyboard and mouse for what you're paying for the keyboard.

If you plan on using XP or Vista 64, make certain - as in check no fewer than two different websites for confirmation, on top of the manufacturer's website - that your wireless card will be compatible with it, as most wireless cards don't have 64-bit drivers for Windows. If you're a badass and plan to use Linux, get the Belkin 7050, period, end of discussion.

For the video card... whatever floats your boat. That's pricey as hell, and overkill for most things, but have fun with it if that's what you're after.

Jeff
Yeah I know the case is expensive. Although it should be known I'm buying it for $90 at a local store, as opposed to $130 on newegg. I was just looking for something that looked cool, and had good cooling and was quiet. According to reviews, this case has both.

About the RAM: thanks. I'm actually only paying $90 for it due to a rebate.

I just decided to go Intel rather than AMD, for no particular reasons. Although Intels are known to have less issues with my audio interface than AMDs. Are you sure the LGA 775 is outdated? I'm pretty sure it's the best standard for Intel right now. Are you thinking of the 754?

Yeah, the mouse and keyboard are pricey. I just wanted really quality parts. Plus, that keyboard has LEDs under the keys, heh.

Thanks for the suggestion about wireless.

Yeah, I know my video card is pricey and overkill, and will probably be bottlenecked by my processor and/or XP, but it's not that much more expensive than the lesser EVGA models, so I just decided to get this version.

Thanks

No, no, no, no, no... he plans on running interfaces and that behemoth 640mb video card, and he plans on running them well, and never having power issues when he plugs new things in or overclocks or puts more fans in or anything like that... power supplies are never to be skimped on, ever, period, end of discussion.

I got that same RAM myself, but it cost me a little more.

DSS3, I can second the 64-bit-dual-core-under-$700 achievement. I'll share my budget at some point if it matters that much to anyone else.

Jeff

Can you run regular windows xp pro on a 64bit motherboard? if so, will there be any/what are the drawback/disadvantages?

and yeah, JBroll, if you wouldn't sharing :)

I'm getting fed up with my computer... but I'm trying to save for a decent tube amp (5150/Dual Rec) and an MRI (for my knee)... :erk: