Please Comment on My New PC

The reason I care about 64-bit is that I use this box as much for math processing as anything else.

Audiophile, off the top of my head... $50 case, $50 power supply on a great deal, $100 RAM (2GB DDR2 800), $100 video card (ATI x1900GT), $150 total for motherboard and processor (ASUS board, AMD X2 64 4400+ processor), $50 hard drive I had laying around (250GB SATA), $100 sound card I had laying around (Audiophile 2496 that I've been using since I started recording), $60 for the DVD-RW drives, $20 for the wireless adapter, and $5 for the thermal goop (Ceramique by Arctic Silver)... something like that. I didn't buy it all in one place, though, so I can't put up a nice fancy link like that.

Jeff

I just ordered mine... came out to $700.

AMD 5600+ 2.8Ghz Dual Core
4GB G.Skill 800mhz RAM
NVidia 7600GT
Some cool looking blue glowey case
160GB 7200RPM SATA WD HDD

I've got keyboard/mouse/DVD-Rom/FW card/ext HDD/etc... from other computers, so I guess in all this would really cost about a grand, but whatever.

Also ordered a new internal for my MacBook - 100GB 7200rpm instead of the stock 60GB 5400rpm. Should be a nice improvement!

That 4GB of RAM will shove the price up quite a bit, I was wondering why you were spending as much as I was and only going 32-bit... that answers it. I'm just curious as to how much of it you'll be successfully using with 32-bit XP, but that will be known soon.

Jeff

I could do 64 if I wanted, but I don't think I'll bother with it.

I've heard some people say you have to tweak the OS to properly use 4GB of RAM, but I know of a few guys who run that much in XP and say it really, really boosted their performance as far as latency and number of plugins and whatnot goes.

*EDIT* well shiet, i might be returning 2 gigs of RAM - 32bit OS's can't utilize more 3.5, and Cubase/Nuendo is only coded for up to 2. There's an experimental 3GB feature, but it's way iffy.

If I weren't broke I'd offer to buy it off of you, but college has me close enough to the red as it is. I think DKFHS will try to use RAM not called by Cubase, so you might have your 2GB after the 1GB or so that DKFHS yanks, so it might not all be lost.

Then again, there's gaming, so what the hell.

Jeff

With the little time I spent in Windows on my 2.3 (run as a 32-bit, because 64-bit Windows wireless drivers just don't fucking happen) I didn't run into a CPU load problem until I ran four separate tracks with their own instances of Amplitube 2 and two EQs apiece - of course, I was overclocking the CPU to test my thermal goop and fan, but I still got through with everything working fine, no crackling, and 3ms lag. You should be fine, you know how to optimize and tweak shit so it should be good to go.

Jeff

Some systems won't recognize more than 2.5gb, others utilize most of it. It has to do with limitations set before the OS has any say in the matter, it varies between 2.5 and a little less than 4.

Jeff

No, no, no, no, no... he plans on running interfaces and that behemoth 640mb video card, and he plans on running them well, and never having power issues when he plugs new things in or overclocks or puts more fans in or anything like that... power supplies are never to be skimped on, ever, period, end of discussion.

I got that same RAM myself, but it cost me a little more.

DSS3, I can second the 64-bit-dual-core-under-$700 achievement. I'll share my budget at some point if it matters that much to anyone else.

Jeff

500W is hardly "skimping", especially if it is a quality unit like a fortron / fsp group

I've built several watercooled and heavily overclocked computers, I'm not some n00b here

I'm not saying you don't know anything, but I will say that in my experience with newer NVIDIA cards and overclocked systems (admittedly limited, since I usually go ATI) I've never built for someone who said 'Yeah, Jeff, I'm really glad I saved $20 on the power supply by limiting my versatility later on when I might want to power very demanding equipment' and I've had plenty of things like 'Fuck it, you were right, headroom is a good thing' so, given that he's not going to get a whole lot of money back (a Fortron PS with dual PCI-E connectors will cost the same and he'll have 100W less power; on top of that I've heard the unit he picked in person and it's insanely quiet), he made a good call and he'll have plenty to spare later on.

Jeff

I'm not saying you don't know anything, but I will say that in my experience with newer NVIDIA cards and overclocked systems (admittedly limited, since I usually go ATI) I've never built for someone who said 'Yeah, Jeff, I'm really glad I saved $20 on the power supply by limiting my versatility later on when I might want to power very demanding equipment' and I've had plenty of things like 'Fuck it, you were right, headroom is a good thing' so, given that he's not going to get a whole lot of money back (a Fortron PS with dual PCI-E connectors will cost the same and he'll have 100W less power; on top of that I've heard the unit he picked in person and it's insanely quiet), he made a good call and he'll have plenty to spare later on.

Jeff

the ratings on power supplies are not always directly related to their quality

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if he has plenty to spare with that power supply - OCZ is a company I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend and I've seen those fuckers last years under non-stop loads. I will also say that with these power supplies it's always nice to have more headroom, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to say that a 700W OCZ will have more room to spare than a 500W Fortron.

Jeff