recording i just finished for a local pop rock band

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
warning, very pop!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=720702
sunset shootout newsong1 and newsong2

Finished tracking these today, drums are all dfhs/slate guitars are all 5150 direct with impulses.

This is pretty close to completion so please critique since i only have a couple more days left to work on it, (band has some sort of deadline) which is less time than i would like to fully be happy with it. There's a little more vocal level automation needed in some places now that i listen again but for the most part i think its comming along pretty well, what do you all think?

Hi!
I've been reading things on this forum for awhile now, but first time I post anything.
I really like the guitarsound on this track. Could you please give us a little more information about how you recorded and mixed them?
I'm currently working on a project with a band that wants this kind of guitarsound so any help achieving this sound would be apprieciated.
Everything else in this mix also sounds good. The vocals sits really well in the mix too! Great job!

wow, thread flashback

are you guys listening to the right song? im pretty sure i removed those yesterday off my soundclick

but anyway the way those were recorded wasnt the best way really, ive found now that using lots of rhythm tracks with very low gain sounds fuller, on these i used settings of like 6pre 5bass 4mid 5treb 7res 6pres and some guitarhack impulses

Dude im really diggin your vocal production on the Pop Rock and R&B songs... What do you usually use for a vocal chain (mics, pres, plugs. etc..) and how do you normally treat your vocals verb/delay wise??

- Marcus

I'm not a huge fan of this kind of "poppy whining teenage punk rock" (mainly due to the gay vocals) but in the genre the band and your production are killer.

It sounds totally pro man !

Hard to tell the difference with the huge bands of this genre you can hear on the radio or something.

Reminds me a lot of New Found Glory and this kind of stuff.

Killer job.

Dude im really diggin your vocal production on the Pop Rock and R&B songs... What do you usually use for a vocal chain (mics, pres, plugs. etc..) and how do you normally treat your vocals verb/delay wise??

- Marcus

thanks man! i only have one mic and one preamp, an audio technica at4050 and a presonus mp20 that i want to try to mod one of the channels one day, anyone ever done this? i usually slam the shit out of them, once with a compressor on the individual track, then on the vox bus they all go to, then that bus has very light delay and reverb, usually with psp84 plugin and CSR plate. a little bit of the stereo harmonizer effect helps too (the +4 left side, -4 right side with some delay in waves doubler) then some eq and thas it

So im assuming you just use the individual mix buttons on the reverb/delay plugs to get the desired amount of the wet effect rather than sending them on a seperate aux bus at 100% wet to blend them in with the aux bus fader?? Also are you hitting the vox easier on the individual track comp wise with a low ratio and high threshold then slamming them a bit harder on the vox bus comp?? Lately ive been diggin the Waves SSL Channel, Digital Fishphones Blockfish, and Camel Phat for getting some nice squashed and colored vox...

So im assuming you just use the individual mix buttons on the reverb/delay plugs to get the desired amount of the wet effect rather than sending them on a seperate aux bus at 100% wet to blend them in with the aux bus fader?? Also are you hitting the vox easier on the individual track comp wise with a low ratio and high threshold then slamming them a bit harder on the vox bus comp?? Lately ive been diggin the Waves SSL Channel, Digital Fishphones Blockfish, and Camel Phat for getting some nice squashed and colored vox...

yeah, i usually just put that kind of stuff directly on the vox bus. i could probably save some cpu power by using some common delays and reverbs on fx tracks but im lazy. as far as which side gets compressed more im not really sure yet and im still experimenting with that to figure it out. on the latest fnb9 track on the page i believe i did like 10db of compresson on each track with rcomp and then ssl comp on main bus with like 14db of compression (yeah i know thats a lot total)