Recording R&B Artist that's talking to Label..

Laneismusic

Nov 20, 2009
Arlington, Tx.
www.myspace.com
Ok so I guess the subject header explains a lot, but this kid from my school is AMAZING at singing/rapping and what not, reminds me of Drake.

He texted me earlier saying how he for sure wants to book a time to come in and record. I already have beats that I make that he wants to use in his recordings.

So my question is, how much do I charge? I don't really like the by the hour thing. I'm more of a by the project guy.. The project in this case would be... recording vocals, pitch correction, editing, all that good stuff...

BUT here's the catch, he's told me that he is talking to several record labels who he says ARE interested in him..
I didn't really believe him, but a buddy of mine for WB Entertainment confirmed..

SO there's the twist..

tell me what you think!

I'd say charge him for whatever you feel your time is worth. Did you mention on aim that you were creating the instrumentals too?

Work out an estimate out how long its gonna take per song, including writing, tracking, editing, mixing and mastering. Think about minimum wage, over here its around £5.60, say it takes you 3 hours to create the song ( a lot will be looping) thats £16.80 (id charge a fair bit more for the instrumental) then say a day for tracking vocals, few hours editing and half hour - 1 hour mixing. I'd say £100 - £150 per track. But that would be just my opinion and my way about it.

You do whatever you feel is worth your time and you will be happy with, but you also have to keep the client in mind. However, if they're wanting to pay peanuts, they get monkeys. If the label thing is for real it does put a twist on things but its still your time, work and effort.

Does he already have any music recorded? If so would you mind linking it up? Wouldn't mind popping in and taking a look..
I'd imagine if he seriously has some labels looking at him he must have some quality recorded material already..

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say they were talking to a label haha

I don't know your client but it seems like there's an odd way that people in the biz stress this so you'll be more motivated to work on their project.

It's happened personally to me a lot

this kid from my school is AMAZING at singing/rapping and what not

Is he also amazingly cool to hang out with? Because that combo doesn't come around often, and the rare times I find it, I work cheap/free to be a part of the project.

Many people that others have called amazing, I find are complete douchebags.

Everyone else has already hit the Label thing square on the head.

Good luck.