Recording rates???

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Im kinda new to studio rates and im unsure how i should charge..

By the song or the hour?? Im decent at recording, i mean it comes out clean

I record in a basement, not much for room treatment a little cramed but good enough

And if i charged by the song, should that include mixing n shit?? Im not a masterer but most bands want it loud i can do that
Hourly rate?? Charge for mixing??
I dont know
click the link for a sample of my work and let me know, im unsure
www.myspace.com/thearcanedesign - lead the line

people here are going to say to charge an hourly rate, and I'd say the same thing, especially if you will be working in a proper studio.

I charge by the song. More songs = discounted rate. But, the way I work requires more flexibility on the band's part with ME, not vice versa, so until I can get into a proper studio (mobile recording rig/mix and master at my house currently), I'm a "charge by the song" kinda guy.

Charge $300 a song for tracking and $150 for mixing.If it sounds like too much find a price based on your hours.
Don't be cheap because what then happens is you start degrading our standard as audio engineers.

what I charge by the song may not be competitive in your area, so I'm hesitant to say. And I don't own or run a studio...My "studio" is pretty much a mixing suite in my house (treated/isolated room in my home used for mixing and mastering ONLY), and I track at the band's designated area of choice - usually their practice space. My rate per song varies depending on what I do (record/mix/master, just mix, just master, etc.). Going by estimates I've done with past projects, my per song charge equals to between 10 to 20 bucks an hour...if it's a really unprepared band and they do just a couple songs, that's where I make less...If it's a decent to good band and they do more than, say, 5, then the outcome of the per song rate equals more per hour because I've spent less time cleaning up the mess, and most of the settings and start point of the mix transfer to all the songs from the session (i.e. the time to get the right mix is ROUGHLY the same for 1 song as it is 5 in most cases).

example...Say I record a ROUGH band for 1 song at 200 bucks for the song.

10 hours tracking for the whole band
4 hours editing
4 hours mixing
2 hours mastering
_______
20 hours total @200 bucks = 10 bucks/hr

good band with 5 songs at 150 per song (multi song discount) = 750 for the project

18 hours tracking
4 hours editing
10 hours mixing
2 hours mastering
_______
34 hours total divided by 750 = 22 bucks an hour

these figures are arbitrary, but are close to what I do and how it works out.

Due to the limitations I have in terms of a studio, I push for bands to track elsewhere and give me the files to mix and master...I tend to make more off those projects charging about HALF as much as I do for a full track/mix/master job because truly the hardest part (tracking) has been done. I have a freelance position in a real studio available to me, but I must bring the clients there myself...with the studio comes an hourly rate, so guess what bands choose? Record at practice spot, have me mix at home....sucks.

Charge $300 a song for tracking and $150 for mixing.If it sounds like too much find a price based on your hours.
Don't be cheap because what then happens is you start degrading our standard as audio engineers.

hahahah have you even heard the work i do?? thats a big price i dont even think i could say that without cringing lol

I dont plan recording it unless i mix it so that makes it 450 a song?? Holy shnikies!!!!!!!

Suggestions??

I record by the hour for recording, and by the song for mixing/mastering.

The studio I work in charges £18 per hour, so thats the recording rate.

At the moment I only charge £25 per song for editing, mixing and mastering, I would charge more but most guys around here do it for free if you've recorded with them (hell I used to aswell!) so bands are very reluctant to pay it, but i've realised its just not worth doing it for free, though £25 per song is still wayyy to little.

I do $10 per hour. Roughly makes up for what I miss making at my day job

+1
For me its:

$10 an hour for tracking

$10 a song for mixing/ mastering (with a $50 minimum)(this is where im not getting paid enough)

and $10 a song for editing (not getting paid enough here either, but bands dont seem to understand what editing is doing for them and don't want to pay more than that)

A good starting point would be to aim for how much you would be making per hour starting out at a brand new job with no experience etc.

im charging 50 euros (70 dollars) per song
that includes recording/tracking, mixing and mastering
and for every 4 songs i record another one for free so...5 songs 200 euros (285 dollars)

but as soon as i get better equipment i will start charging
tracking/recording by the hour
and a fixed rate for editing/mixing/mastering

Used to charge $15, but now upgraded my equipment, deck, amps, etc. (http://www.myspace.com/alpinestudioscr)

But now i record at $35/hr (so do my competitors locally) tracking, $150 for mixing TOTAL, $50 for mastering. But if i record more than 5 songs i usually take off like 10% from the entire project as an "album deal" Usually takes me to like $25 or so i've figured out once...

I've had responses like "wow that's cheap" to "fuck..." before haha but its a good deal, at least for shitty ass Iowa...

Yeah, I charge $35 an hour for bands I don't know. Friendly folks (and more importantly TALENTED folks) get better rates. I can charge whatever the fuck I want for whoever I record, it's my business. Most clients I work with are super happy by the time they leave though and I have had a lot of repeat customers.

Well i just proposed a rate to give you an indicator .
It's not an uncommon figure as a starting point from most studios in this side of the woods.
If you believe it's too much then charge half that.

I'd be interested to know when people are quoting their rates if they have a "real" studio (i.e. a facility with tracking rooms, control room, etc., i.e. NOT a bedroom). I couldn't ever see charging per song like I do now if the studio was my main source of income, or if I had a true studio.