Another rates/charging thread...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Was going to bump an older thread but the question here is a bit different although still obviously related...

I am finally making the push to get out there and start recording other bands on a regular basis and am having a hard time deciding on how to charge or whether to post rates at all.

Reasons for not posting rates:
-Every project is different, songs are different lengths, different number of instruments in different bands, etc.
-Charging by the song means you get screwed when a band can't play their instruments and takes way longer than expected to get the tracking done
-Charging per hour means you get bands who book 6 hours of studio time expecting to get a 5 song EP completely tracked, so after their time is up and it's not done, they have to try and book more time (which you can't fit into your schedule at this point because it's too late) or you have to push a shitty sounding product out the door with your name on it
-Public rates means you can't charge differently depending on the quality of the performances you are expecting to get and the professionalism of the musicians

All that being said, when you are brand new and trying to get your name out there, it is REALLY hard to expect bands to contact you when your name hasn't spread around yet and they can't just go to your website and get an idea of pricing.

I know if I was looking between 5-6 different studios to do a demo, the only ones I would bother contacting with serious intentions to record would be guys who I know have a great reputation from other bands in the scene. If I went to a brand new dudes webpage and he had 3-4 pretty good sounding clips but no pricing to give me any idea of what I'm expecting to pay, I would rather negotiate with the dude who has the reputation. People are lazy and want information hand fed to them, that's just how it is.

So in the mean time, until I build a solid client list and a good reputation in the area, I feel like I need to post some sort of pricing purely as an incentive to get bands to bother contacting me at all vs. the more established guys, as I feel like having posted prices (even though it works to my disadvantage economically) gives me an advantage over guys who don't post prices as far as attracting clients to begin with.

What I ended up deciding on was a price of $100/ 8-10 hour day rate for tracking, $15/hr for any time booked in smaller segments (like 3-4 hours on a weeknight to track some vocals) and $40/song on top of that for mixing/"mastering"(ie. throw some plugins on there and try to bring it up to commercial levels as transparently as possible, I am no mastering engineer, I just need to get the mixes louder while keeping them sounding as close to the original mix as possible).

On top of this, I included a quick note on the page that the pricing is a guideline designed to give you an idea of what budget to expect for recording with me and to contact me with specifics about your project if you would like to work out a project price/schedule for your particular situation.

I think my rates are super cheap but I need to charge around there to get bands in at first. The shitty thing about the posted rates is that once I build the clientelle and can raise the rates, everyone in the area already knows the rates I was charging before and I don't want to be looked down upon as that greedy asshole jacking his prices. This obviously isn't a problem when you negotiate prices per project.

Part of me still wants to just charge "per song" as that makes it super easy for bands and means I'll get more work, but bands paying $100/song are obviously broke, and rarely are broke, young, lazy musicians also super tight talented musicians, which makes the tracking process a bit of a nightmare as far as timeframe goes. Like I said before though, charging a day/hourly rate also means you end up with bands with totally unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in one day, at least when aiming for the quality that I want to put out in order to build a good reputation.

Bah!!! What do you guys do to get around this problem? An hourly/daily rate with some sort of breakdown about how much time is required per song? I know Joey does that but I just think charging anything "per song" leaves you open to get fucked regardless... :erk:

I think it's daily rates pretty much all the way.
Give the band an estimation of how long it will probably take to record a certain number of songs with a given number of instruments. If they can say we don't need that much time - fine. Once they started tracking drums they might see that they should have booked more days. Then maybe they'll cut back on the number of songs the want to record.

Was going to bump an older thread but the question here is a bit different although still obviously related...

I am finally making the push to get out there and start recording other bands on a regular basis and am having a hard time deciding on how to charge or whether to post rates at all.

Reasons for not posting rates:
-Every project is different, songs are different lengths, different number of instruments in different bands, etc.
-Charging by the song means you get screwed when a band can't play their instruments and takes way longer than expected to get the tracking done
-Charging per hour means you get bands who book 6 hours of studio time expecting to get a 5 song EP completely tracked, so after their time is up and it's not done, they have to try and book more time (which you can't fit into your schedule at this point because it's too late) or you have to push a shitty sounding product out the door with your name on it
-Public rates means you can't charge differently depending on the quality of the performances you are expecting to get and the professionalism of the musicians

All that being said, when you are brand new and trying to get your name out there, it is REALLY hard to expect bands to contact you when your name hasn't spread around yet and they can't just go to your website and get an idea of pricing.

I know if I was looking between 5-6 different studios to do a demo, the only ones I would bother contacting with serious intentions to record would be guys who I know have a great reputation from other bands in the scene. If I went to a brand new dudes webpage and he had 3-4 pretty good sounding clips but no pricing to give me any idea of what I'm expecting to pay, I would rather negotiate with the dude who has the reputation. People are lazy and want information hand fed to them, that's just how it is.

So in the mean time, until I build a solid client list and a good reputation in the area, I feel like I need to post some sort of pricing purely as an incentive to get bands to bother contacting me at all vs. the more established guys, as I feel like having posted prices (even though it works to my disadvantage economically) gives me an advantage over guys who don't post prices as far as attracting clients to begin with.

What I ended up deciding on was a price of $100/ 8-10 hour day rate for tracking, $15/hr for any time booked in smaller segments (like 3-4 hours on a weeknight to track some vocals) and $40/song on top of that for mixing/"mastering"(ie. throw some plugins on there and try to bring it up to commercial levels as transparently as possible, I am no mastering engineer, I just need to get the mixes louder while keeping them sounding as close to the original mix as possible).

On top of this, I included a quick note on the page that the pricing is a guideline designed to give you an idea of what budget to expect for recording with me and to contact me with specifics about your project if you would like to work out a project price/schedule for your particular situation.

I think my rates are super cheap but I need to charge around there to get bands in at first. The shitty thing about the posted rates is that once I build the clientelle and can raise the rates, everyone in the area already knows the rates I was charging before and I don't want to be looked down upon as that greedy asshole jacking his prices. This obviously isn't a problem when you negotiate prices per project.

Part of me still wants to just charge "per song" as that makes it super easy for bands and means I'll get more work, but bands paying $100/song are obviously broke, and rarely are broke, young, lazy musicians also super tight talented musicians, which makes the tracking process a bit of a nightmare as far as timeframe goes. Like I said before though, charging a day/hourly rate also means you end up with bands with totally unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in one day, at least when aiming for the quality that I want to put out in order to build a good reputation.

Bah!!! What do you guys do to get around this problem? An hourly/daily rate with some sort of breakdown about how much time is required per song? I know Joey does that but I just think charging anything "per song" leaves you open to get fucked regardless... :erk:

Hey Forbidden,

Your pricing scheme seems fine. When it comes to these kind of craft related services, the service provider (you) must know where you stand level wise. By this I mean, you have to ask yuorself honestly, "what do I have to offer? How much experience do I have? Do I have an ear for this or that..."etc so on and so forth. By this careful evaluation, you know that a band gets their money's worth and you are being paid correctly for the level you are at personally. And how does this helpyou in the future? Well, when you are ready to bump prices up, your past work and prices reflect each other honestly. Any natural progression in your craft is then implicit or at least should be implict for people, that as you move along the better you are getting and the better the gear you are aquiring (one hopes so). So don't worry about that stuff. Just be honest and everything else falls into place. Like I said your prices are fine, quiet humble and that's great for a person "brand new" to this.

The one thing I advise against - and again, this will reflect on you better in the future - is not to friviously throw in services. Like "yeah for this much I'll throw in mastering" and the whole "I'll just slap plugins on it" thing. Treat each aspect of this craft with respect and take your time with them. Having started recording myself 15 years ago, I learned in a frantic way NOT to bite off more than I can chew. First I was good with recording,so i stuck with that and practiced and practiced. Then to mixing and so on and so forth. Stick to what you know, the right way and it will reflect better on you and retain value in the craft itself.

hope this helps

Cheers, very informative reply!

The thing with mastering is that a lot of these young and broke bands that I'm going to be dealing with are not going to want to spend an extra $200 to get their EP mastered elsewhere after I give them the unmastered mixes, which means I either let them post those versions around and inevitably deal with the:

Friend of band: "Dude how come your songs are so quiet?"
Band: "I dunno man, this is what we got from the studio, pretty shitty I know."

...bullshit, or I do the best I can to bring the level up transparently without putting the real finishing touches on it that an actual mastering engineer would
crap.gif

Both are less than ideal situations but I figure I'll get some practice with mastering work this way and it maintains a better reputation for me overall... I don't intend on ever dissuading any bands who DO want to master elsewhere though, if they can afford it then be my guest, a professionally mastered recording that still has my name on it looks great for everyone!

I do not have any education or experience in business, but I do know that one pretty effective way to drum up a clientele base and spread word about your product is to advertise a really cheap "limited time only, introductory rate", and have excellent quality recordings. Work with each band that comes in and give them the BEST damn sound you can. Once you've developed your reputation you can start to up your pricing and profits accordingly. That's exactly the model that Warehouse Guitar Speakers used, they started off with GREAT sounding V30 clones or $25. Word spread like wildfire with no actual advertising being paid for, and now he's selling the same speakers for $75 and contracting with bigger companies to use them in their products.

Your idea sounds very good and its definitely extremely cheap, I charged $15/hour to record in my bedroom at my parent's house! I would make sure that its understood as an introductory, "act now!" deal, and that the real rate you'll be charging will be more realistic, so those bands better get their ass in gear! And unfortunately, those bands looking for a deal will be the ones you have to prove yourself with.

Also... don't be too judgmental about the younger guys without much money. Some of these kids are wastes, yeah, but there are a lot that just sit at home all day practicing and playing their music.

I would find a band that is interested in working with you and charge them per song, personally. You will probably lose out on this one, but take your time, do it right and make sure it fucking sparkles before you consider it to be finished - first impressions are sooooooooooooooo important man.

Good luck to you dude!!

:headbang:

Cheers, very informative reply!

The thing with mastering is that a lot of these young and broke bands that I'm going to be dealing with are not going to want to spend an extra $200 to get their EP mastered elsewhere after I give them the unmastered mixes, which means I either let them post those versions around and inevitably deal with the:

Friend of band: "Dude how come your songs are so quiet?"
Band: "I dunno man, this is what we got from the studio, pretty shitty I know."

...bullshit, or I do the best I can to bring the level up transparently without putting the real finishing touches on it that an actual mastering engineer would :erk:

Both are less than ideal situations but I figure I'll get some practice with mastering work this way and it maintains a better reputation for me overall... I don't intend on ever dissuading any bands who DO want to master elsewhere though, if they can afford it then be my guest, a professionally mastered recording that still has my name on it looks great for everyone!

Absolutely, some of the kids are on a tight budget, but nevertheless you can educate them. Let them know what is happening. Like you said, you'd never dissuade them if they had the budget to go to a true ME. Conversely, if you know for a fact they will not be spending anymore money,give them the option of what you can do but explain to them that it is less than ideal, as you already know (which is one step closer to being a professional). Make sure they realize they go with "quiet but true to the source" or "level adjusted, louder but not a true mastering" per say. Then you've got best of both worlds and the most important aspect of it, the education, has been deployed not wasted.

Forbidden: Got a link to your site?

It's not 100% done, I have to take some pics of my own setup for dan weapon to work into the graphics instead of the placeholder pic in the bottom right that is there now :lol: and the songs on the player aren't final mixes either, just placeholder material again more or less, but check it out...

http://www.blindthevisionary.com/batcave

Need to register a new domain for it too, this is just where it's being hosted as I'm building it to show around to friends for opinions and whatnot.

@TranscendingMusic, more good advice bro, definitely appreciated :kickass:

It's not 100% done, I have to take some pics of my own setup for dan weapon to work into the graphics instead of the placeholder pic in the bottom right that is there now :lol: and the songs on the player aren't final mixes either, just placeholder material again more or less, but check it out...

http://www.blindthevisionary.com/batcave

Need to register a new domain for it too, this is just where it's being hosted as I'm building it to show around to friends for opinions and whatnot.

@TranscendingMusic, more good advice bro, definitely appreciated :kickass:

Not a problem man, I wish you luck with the endeavor :kickass:

Nice website Adam (finally know your name now! lol!)
Even though punk songs aren't to my taste, the production on them is very nice. I think that the pricing information you mentioned above is extremely reasonable and I hope it gets you much more work!

You should not use the pictures of this other studio. It's misleading the client. Even if your gear list states otherwise.

I was just about to say the same thing. I saw th epicture of the big desk and thought ;"Man this looks really good! Can't wait to see the gear list". Needless to say, those pics are a bit misleading.

You should not use the pictures of this other studio. It's misleading the client. Even if your gear list states otherwise.

I was just about to say the same thing. I saw th epicture of the big desk and thought ;"Man this looks really good! Can't wait to see the gear list". Needless to say, those pics are a bit misleading.

Already mentioned this guys, check the post where I linked to the website, there is a big paragraph disclaimer explaining all of that. It's not done, it's not public nor being advertised. I only posted it because digitaldeath asked about it, perhaps I'll just take the link down for now and PM anyone interested in seeing it. Dan created those images as a placeholder for the layout, I am sending him pictures of my stuff as soon as I get home, I am away for business until the 16th of June. I definitely agree it is misleading and have no intention of using those images when the website is really "up."

Yeah he's already explained it will be changed when he gets a chance to take pics of HIS setup, more than once now :lol: Reading FTW!