Recording Slap Bass

Evan Hoyles

Nov 2, 2009
Hey I'm recording slap bass and no matter how low i turn the input the slaps are popping way too much. Does anyone know how fix this problem?

it could be a technique thing, or if your EQ is set extremely you'll get some problems. You can always turn down the treble and high mid. most likely you just want to compress it at about a 1:3 ratio. it'll take a bit of playing around with the particular compressor you're using to get the sound you're looking for and to make sure the pedal/plugin or whatever doesn't take out too much from your sound. I wouldn't lower the volume too much because when you do a final mix there will be some real noticeable extra sound on the track.

Also some basses just don't sound good when slapped. My friend who is a pretty damn good bass player proved this; He had this really old j-bass (I think from the 70s or something) bass that sounded like shit when slapped, and the he had this really new white p-bass that sounded pretty fucking awesome when slapped.

Ya it might be the bass. This guy is an amazing bassist but his regular bass broke and he was recording on a squire. Were gonna have another go at it when he gets it fixed so hopefully it will work.

When I recorded slap bass, it clipped a bit on the harder, lower notes so I had to turn down the bass's volume. Came out with a wicked sound though, because of all the volume variations, you start distorting and the character of it really changes depending on how each note is hit.

I have used izotope rx declicker on bad source tracks before to reduce the pops and clicks when I get something that is really bad