recording the bass guitar

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
What is the best way to record a good bass guitar sound?
And wath is the best mic for a bass speacker?
I'm confused, if I record the bass direcly to my firewire 1814, and then reamping is a good Idea?

Just a kick drum mic (Beta 52 or D112) would work great.
Also use a direct out but maybe place a DI-Box in the middle..that would be smart or else you can say byebye to your device..

Hey, are you liking the 1814?

Jackal_Strain said:
I'm sorry... I couldnt read a word you said... I couldnt take my eyes of that chick in your avatar:OMG:

Ha, and to think she's married to one of the guys that used to be in Marilyn Manson :erk: There is no justice!

The easiest way to get a decent bass sound is a mix of DI and mic'ed cab - I don't know much mic-wise, just make sure it's something with really good low end. If you're DI'ing, you'll need a DI box - unless the 1814 has inputs specifcally for instruments.

Steve

The D112 often sounds pretty good on kick drums and can sound good on bass cabs, but for tracking bass, I prefer something more along the lines of an ATM25 up close, and a U47 or 87 or other nice LDC a foot or so back. I recently got to try an ATM25 and a Brauner VM1(ridonkulously amazing mic, but really really pricey) on a gorgeous old Ampeg 8x10 SVT setup, with a Countryman DI running simultaneously, and I've gotta say that I've never gotten a bass tone that gorgeous that worked so well in the mix with little extra processing. The D112 has never really sounded that special to me. I prefer my close bass amp mic to provide a nice even midrange and a good capturing of the high end click and attack, to mix with the clear consistency of the DI and low end punch and thud (and whatever entirely vague unimaginative adjective you can think of) of the LDC. On another note on the D112, I used to really love it on kicks, till I tried an older AKG D12(previous version of the D112, I believe) and realized how much i was missing in terms of full frequency response without any weird peaks.

Exsanguis said:
The D112 often sounds pretty good on kick drums and can sound good on bass cabs, but for tracking bass, I prefer something more along the lines of an ATM25 up close, and a U47 or 87 or other nice LDC a foot or so back. I recently got to try an ATM25 and a Brauner VM1(ridonkulously amazing mic, but really really pricey) on a gorgeous old Ampeg 8x10 SVT setup, with a Countryman DI running simultaneously, and I've gotta say that I've never gotten a bass tone that gorgeous that worked so well in the mix with little extra processing. The D112 has never really sounded that special to me. I prefer my close bass amp mic to provide a nice even midrange and a good capturing of the high end click and attack, to mix with the clear consistency of the DI and low end punch and thud (and whatever entirely vague unimaginative adjective you can think of) of the LDC. On another note on the D112, I used to really love it on kicks, till I tried an older AKG D12(previous version of the D112, I believe) and realized how much i was missing in terms of full frequency response without any weird peaks.

I'm using DI box (Behringer) works great..in my opinion.
Put a D112 in front of it..and boom de la boom with a little bit of the D112 mixed in you get a really sweet sound.
I've actually never tried any of the other mics you got listed there, simply because I don't have those mics in my collection..but some day! some day. :)

Don't underestimate a 57 on a cab. Alone it will sound a little thin but with a DI it can work wonders.

Tachy said:
Shure sm 57 in the bass speacker work??

On its own, not so great. Combine it with a nice DI or a mic more suited to picking up the bottom end, and it'll give the bass a nice kick in the mids.

Yeah, I just did the 57 thing the other day actually and it came out really cool. Soundelux U195 in FAT Mode in front of the 14" (or whatever it was, can't remember now) and a 57 in front of the cab's little "tweeter" hole (no idea what it's called). The 57 had to be lowpassed quite a bit, but mixing a little of it in with the U195 really brought the sound to life. Check phase, obviously.

I use 3 tracks. DI, A52 or 87 for the lows and mids.
And a 57 for the tweeter.
Use a Ampeg SVT2 with a 4x10 plus tweeter. 9 out of ten it sound great without eq. I use compression while tracking.
Watch out for much lows. Every note should have the same volume.

I've been really happy with with the results I've gotten from using an Electrovoice RE20 aimed dead on at the center of a 10" speaker (I read about that mic position approach somewhere). I didn't even feel the need to add the DI signal to it, it was great by itself.