Recording Vocals

AStacy2

May 19, 2006
Ohio
Hey when a singer dosen't want to use headphones and just wants to sing with the monitors cranked up how do you guys go about things? Mix the song without the vocal first to get a good sound going and then record the vox? I usually record with headphones and was worried about leakage. Do you guys gate this? It seems like it might get rid of some of the breaths which might not make it sound as natural by doing this. I'm sure some of you have recorded like this before so what's worked best for you?

Generally what I've heard is done is to flip the phase on one of your monitors, and put him directly between the two, in an equilateral triangle between the mic and the 2 monitors - that'll cancel out the sound from the monitors enough that it won't matter.

That said, I can't remember if they also sent a mono signal rather than a stereo signal to the monitors - someone else will be able to chime in though.

im still pretty new but how do you flip the phase?? sorry if this is a dumb question i know some preamps have a phase switch does this mean when you go back and record with mic in same spot to just flip the phase switch on preamp or is there something in protools i should do??

broken81 said:
im still pretty new but how do you flip the phase?? sorry if this is a dumb question i know some preamps have a phase switch does this mean when you go back and record with mic in same spot to just flip the phase switch on preamp or is there something in protools i should do??

There'll be a tool to do it in there somewhere no doubt- in nuendo, you just right click the file in question.

Can't believe I never thought of that before !!! Plus it allows to still send stereo in the speakers... But I guess the singer should remain in the same position so that his (or her) body still reflects and absorb the same frequencies (haha, joking...).

There'll be a tool to do it in there somewhere no doubt- in nuendo, you just right click the file in question.

So you dont do anything with mic preamp it will be in recording program like protools cubase ext.....?????

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Can't believe I never thought of that before !!! Plus it allows to still send stereo in the speakers... But I guess the singer should remain in the same position so that his (or her) body still reflects and absorb the same frequencies (haha, joking...).

Of course, and remember to not have the female singers adjust their bra's at all, as the protruding mass of the breasts deflects the signal in a circular pattern - if that's changed, your high end will be ruined.

to flip the phase inside of protools i think you can do it under the compressor plug in that comes with it..look for a circle with a line going through it..that means phase

do i need 2 monitors pointing and playing at singer or can i just use 1? then just have him stand in same spot and rerecord with no vocals and flip phase on the track with no vocals??

just wana make sure im geting this:kickass:

Brett - K A L I S I A said:

That's actually true most of the time. I usually like to have singers pretty close up on the mic, around 3 to 4 inches from the capsule in most cases. In cardioid or hyper-cardioid that head is taking up a pretty good portion of the pattern. affects the sound of the bleed for sure.

Some have already mentioned this but it's super important to leave the room, monitor setup, and mic stand position the same the whole time.

I actually rarely use this method. Unless the musician is seasoned in the studio and knows how they work best, I'll make them use headphones. An important skill to learn I think.