Recreation Day Mastering Question (for the band)

jmillion

Middle Manager
Sep 26, 2002
Chicago, IL - USA
johnnymillion.com
Hello!

I signed on to the UM boards as a Saxon fan, so I don't post here much, but I own every Evergrey CD and they are one of my favorite new bands.

I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the promo CD for Recreation Day (and I will be buying one when it is released, FYI :cool: ) but I have a question/comment:

I am an independent recording engineer, mixing & mastering (I only have credits for PurrBox and The Millions currently, but I just thought I'd mention that I have semi-professional experience) and I noticed that Recreation Day is mastered kind of quiet. It's barely peaking at -1.5 dB as far as I can tell. To give you a reference, Solitude was mastered much hotter at around -.01 dB (like most new releases).

That being said, the level is nearly pinned at -1.5 dB, making it sound almost over-limited at times.

Is there a specific reason for this decision?

Just curious.

Yes, it does appear they mastered it a bit softer than their previous two CDs. But IMO it doesn't affect the listening experience to any great degree--I just turn it up louder. The limiting effect of the entire mix is noticeable, I would agree.

Still sounds like a top-notch production to me, and the CD just kicks all kinds of ass.

--S

Who produced the new album? Larocque?

I was sort of disappointed when Neil Kernon announced he wasn't going to be able to do it. He is the best producer out there in my opinion and both SDD and ISOT had great production.

I haven't heard RD yet.

NP: Tad Morose - Leaving the Past Behind